How to crash an industry

Pete Mctree

I would say make it 3 but if I have to do anything them im out!:laugh1:

Seriously though would be interesting if anyone does do the 5 year reassessment, other than those in LA's etc.

Put a poll up maybe?

Ya see the myths that propagate throughout the industry…..

Re assessment implies your current assessment is or will become invalid, this is not the case, you have been assessed and presumably found competent.

There is no re assessment required for the vast majority.

There is however refresher training which is an entirely different beast.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya see the myths that propagate throughout the industry…..

Re assessment implies your current assessment is or will become invalid, this is not the case, you have been assessed and presumably found competent.

There is no re assessment required for the vast majority.

There is however refresher training which is an entirely different beast.

Spot On :thumbup1:

So, thus far it seems nobody but the AAAC's are taking any notice and actually putting staff through refresher training.

I will have to look into this through more official channels because if we dont HAVE to do it, i dont see why the hell we should.

For the record, I DO agree with first aid re trains, its a different kettle

For the record, I DO agree with first aid re trains, its a different kettle

Absolutely!!!

With luck we don't us our first aid skills from one year to the next, so never become experts in first aid, thus we need to be retrained.

This is not the case when it come to doing our job, to suggest we need additional training after years of do the job is nothing short of insulting.

Maybe if you have an accident there could be an argument for some training, but making it something we all have to do every 5 years is ridiculous!!

Hey-up I have had several discussions on this issue of legality. I have been on the parliamentary station office web site where all the white and green papers are published THERE IS NOTHING??? I then rang the people who did back up the fact there is NO specific laws for the use of chainsaws only the Health and safety exe.

Are the people who make money out of us going to kill the goose.

Take car insurance heard up near Tyne-side one poor kid was quoted £9000-00p pound for his first premium!!!! Why? because that other young drivers did not get insured??????

I think someone up there has got something wrong!!

Has for the five year rule this came from councils who rightly I believe made workers who did not regularly use a chainsaw take a refresher course paid for by the council.

Look we all know that most Trainers do not self assess every day for they are not doing the job, are you not told to asses your-self then why are the SO CALLED EXPERTS try to force something on to the industry that is only a what they think is a money spinner.

ANYWAY WHO TRAINS THE TRAINERS???????????????????????????:sneaky2:

Hey-up I have had several discussions on this issue of legality. I have been on the parliamentary station office web site where all the white and green papers are published THERE IS NOTHING??? I then rang the people who did back up the fact there is NO specific laws for the use of chainsaws only the Health and safety exe.

Are the people who make money out of us going to kill the goose.

Take car insurance heard up near Tyne-side one poor kid was quoted £9000-00p pound for his first premium!!!! Why? because that other young drivers did not get insured??????

I think someone up there has got something wrong!!

Has for the five year rule this came from councils who rightly I believe made workers who did not regularly use a chainsaw take a refresher course paid for by the council.

Look we all know that most Trainers do not self assess every day for they are not doing the job, are you not told to asses your-self then why are the SO CALLED EXPERTS try to force something on to the industry that is only a what they think is a money spinner.

ANYWAY WHO TRAINS THE TRAINERS???????????????????????????:sneaky2:

the trainers if they are registered and most are not have to attend regular update with technical standard verifiers as nptc assessors they have to be re verified bi annually in each group they assess the verifiers job is to keep up with latest minute industry details and pass this onto assessors

i can only speak for myself but i am still on the tools and have been so for 20 years

i take a lot of pride in my training and have a lot of repeat custom from it

it is nothing to do with trainers/assessors to (force it on the industry) to line our pockets

this legislation witch by the way doesnt exist yet for the cs units comes through afag and the hse as a reaction to the high number of "accidendts" each year

whilst i partially agree with the point of view that reassessment/refresher is in some case overkill you have to remember there are guys out there who cant rescue when needed and as for there chainsaw use its frightening

councils and reputable companys have ben refreshing their staff for years now with no fuss

terry registered instructor assessor

People need to be trained it is possible to do this without ripping them off. Quality training is more useful from an experienced instructor than certificates and medals. Refresher courses are worthwhile I have never been on a course I did not learn something but at the same time 10 blokes on a 4 hr course £30 ea is enough.