Am I running a business from home?

Horatio

I think a lot of your problem stems from`shared driveway`.I`m presuming its shared with this chap complaining.They cause no end of hassle, and personally i avoid them like the plague,however, as an outsider looking in, he will see you using the drive for work related activity.A bit of sawdust,woodchip,even if you are being particular with cleanliness, he will see you getting more from the shared driveway than he is.

That annoys some people, particularly i they just drive up it and park a car.

I store all my kit in my garage simply because i dont want it nicked.I have cut logs on my drive before but try and avoid running saws often.I do split logs with a maul for my own use though.I dont consider any of what i do operating a business from home, although my neighbours are aware of what i get up to.I`ve done small jobs for a couple of them and not charged anything, and i sometimes give a few boxes of eggs out to keep them sweet.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have had several visits from the council due to jealous neighbours not liking me getting on in life!!!!

the deffiniation of running a business from home is do you have customers turning up to your home address for you to ply your trade

which basically means do your customers bring there trees round to your house to have them cut

if you do you will need planning permission for business use

or

if you do what you say you do in your orignial post even if you have your work mate subby etc turning up on a morning storing servicing equipment tools van chipper etc then your all above board!

the first visit the council man tried to trip me up on why i had a dispatch van, a cabstar, a hilux & a unimog on my front drive & garden in a quite cul-de-sac

but once he reliased i was cool with not parking the vans or mog on the drive & that in future i would always park them on the street outside as that is a perfectly legal place to park them as all were taxed etc he decided the drive & garden was fine for the parking of vehicles

all equipment was stored out of sight from the public road i.e in my garage shed or back garden that was fine

i did not have customers calling round for me to do work for them there & then so that was fine

on the second 2 visits he just pulled up outside came in for a coffee & a chat about motocross & enduro racing!

i have never heard from them again!

the deffiniation of running a business from home is do you have customers turning up to your home address for you to ply your trade

which basically means do your customers bring their trees round to your house to have them cut

I like to see someone call round mine with the 80ft sweet chestnut I cut up today :laugh1:

Best thing I ever did was to rent a yard, nothing us at home work is work and home is home!

This hits the spot.

You can't beat going to work and coming home and keeping them separate. It costs but you become more productive.

However I am now at home on arbtalk thinking about work aaargh. I'm off out.

Reading the planning rules, seems you'd pass the key tests to determine you'd not need planning permission IMO see

Planning Portal - Working from home

I'd write a letter back...

Dear Cupid Stunt, thank you for your letter dated whenever. It seems you have been misinformed regarding the nature of my business, and the authority you think you hold over me in a democracy.

I am tree surgeon, my business is tree surgery, my business activity is carried out on customer premises only, where would you suggest I move my business to?

Until this country becomes a dictatorship, and some idiot puts you in charge of it, you hold no sway over me, I therefore don;t have to comply with your irrelevant requests. Please desist from writing your wishes regarding my business to me in future, I have a life, and I don't want to waste it answering trivial letters from you.

I suggest you move to China and contribute large sums to the party in charge, this may allow you the power you clearly desire.:001_tt2:

Disclaimer: this is not to be considered legal advice, just the ramblings of a raving lunatic :D

You my friend are a legend. Love that :thumbup:

Listen to this man. :thumbup1:

I agree..

Worse case scenario is the councill will finally listen to the guy and over a dragged out period of time may start to put some heat on you about it. Until that day if it ever comes, just ignor it and work towards getting a yard when the time is right.

I think a lot of your problem stems from`shared driveway`.I`m presuming its shared with this chap complaining.They cause no end of hassle, and personally i avoid them like the plague,however, as an outsider looking in, he will see you using the drive for work related activity.A bit of sawdust,woodchip,even if you are being particular with cleanliness, he will see you getting more from the shared driveway than he is.

That annoys some people, particularly i they just drive up it and park a car.

I store all my kit in my garage simply because i dont want it nicked.I have cut logs on my drive before but try and avoid running saws often.I do split logs with a maul for my own use though.I dont consider any of what i do operating a business from home, although my neighbours are aware of what i get up to.I`ve done small jobs for a couple of them and not charged anything, and i sometimes give a few boxes of eggs out to keep them sweet.

HI RAKER you do not have to tell me about shared driveway mate we had it 8 years ago it cost ME £20k AND IT COULD OF COST LOT MORE BUT YOU MUST DO NOT BACK DOWN AS SOME OUT WILL WALK ALL OVER YOU MATE BUT BE AWEAR IT COST MONEY TO PUT THEM IN THERE PLACE BUT SOME TIME YOU HAVE TO DO IT BUT IM THE OTHER WAY I CAN NOT GIVE A :001_rolleyes:NOW ABOUT IT BUT THE BEST WITH YOUR JOB JON