British Soldier to Tree Surgeon!!

MrFaz

Hello Tim

Welcome to the Forum .. lots of useful information in the threads . if your not sure use the Search tab ,, the questions will in the main be answered

Mod to Civ isnt as hard a transfer as you might think , I did it I'm ex Raf

loads of positives about ex forces guys , try to go for the commercial sector as these firms are in the main at the forefront of Arb .

I'd try ringing a few firms its much better than an email or letter , as they can get overlooked , ring them up and politley tell them your tale & what you hope to do , what you can offer , your drive & enthusiasm ,personal commitment , physical fitness , good communicator , vehicle driver , machinery capabilities, & if they would consider you ,and if so what qualitys they are looking for & what industry quals or experience they look for ? ! ,

then go for it , get the quals at a training centre , To get experience you can offer to do free days for good firms, you'll learn more than you can from just a training experience,

as you probably know from the Job, once you've passed out / finished your training thats when the real learning starts

all the best Iain

There's your answer mate! If ex RAF can do it ..........:lol:

Richard Olley at Kingswood is spot on, they have great facilities - also a pub round the corner that will give you your £25 daily receipt for scoff(or beer as scoff, apparently:thumbup:)

Make sure you get the full ELC grant - some time spent on paperwork BEFORE you see the resettlement officer!

Contact a local tree surgeon and start dragging brash now. Chin work/Army off ASAP and concentrate on your new career - they will forget about you as soon as you hand in your MOD90!!! ( Unless you don't pay your mess bill!:blushing:)

Work hard and don't listen to those that say that the Arb world is sh!t - they obviously aren't doing it right!

Good luck!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are the army pushing so many leavers into a saturated industry?

The Army don't push anyone Mark. It's purely up to the individual.

But yes there does seem to be a lot of ex forces joining the industry.

But there has also been quite a large redundancy push of late, meaning that there is even more ex forces than normal!

Richard Olley at Kingswood is spot on, they have great facilities - also a pub round the corner that will give you your £25 daily receipt for scoff(or beer as scoff, apparently:thumbup:)

Make sure you get the full ELC grant - some time spent on paperwork BEFORE you see the resettlement officer!

Contact a local tree surgeon and start dragging brash now. Chin work/Army off ASAP and concentrate on your new career - they will forget about you as soon as you hand in your MOD90!!! ( Unless you don't pay your mess bill!:blushing:)

Work hard and don't listen to those that say that the Arb world is sh!t - they obviously aren't doing it right!

Good luck!

are you ex forces ??

Now then Mark, how are you ? me i'm good as good can be. To answer your specific question, its not the mod pushing good blokes out into Arb, Its fantastic blokes who have given up a good proportion of there lives for King and Queen, They have just decided that that way of life is no longer what they want, they are not monetary driven , but desire a way of life completely in difference to what they have been accustomed too. Its about a life change thing, for some even becoming feral ,money does not mater ,working with your hands and being your own boss are key points, doing what you like when you like are also very important, don't forget for those leaving the mod, for all the time that they have been in, there has been no sickeys ( don't feel like work today ! ) and all turn to 5 mins before there appointment time, it will have been very regimented time. For me I don't take any days now as a free man for granted pretty much say what I think and do as I please and try not to offend. And one last point its only coincidental that this industry is saturated and as a result so poorly paid. :thumbup: me, i'm going fishing tomorrow its too hot to work :lol:

Now then Mark, how are you ? me i'm good as good can be. To answer your specific question, its not the mod pushing good blokes out into Arb, Its fantastic blokes who have given up a good proportion of there lives for King and Queen, They have just decided that that way of life is no longer what they want, they are not monetary driven , but desire a way of life completely in difference to what they have been accustomed too. Its about a life change thing, for some even becoming feral ,money does not mater ,working with your hands and being your own boss are key points, doing what you like when you like are also very important, don't forget for those leaving the mod, for all the time that they have been in, there has been no sickeys ( don't feel like work today ! ) and all turn to 5 mins before there appointment time, it will have been very regimented time. For me I don't take any days now as a free man for granted pretty much say what I think and do as I please and try not to offend. And one last point its only coincidental that this industry is saturated and as a result so poorly paid. :thumbup: me, i'm going fishing tomorrow its too hot to work :lol:

Well said!

Good luck!

cheeky git :thumbup1: and done it quite well, if I might add

I don't think anyone is getting pushed Mark.

It is an attractive industry to get into,there just arn't that many jobs going.

That fact might get overlooked by those providing resettlement courses,this MOD demobilization is doing for trainers,what the 1987 Storm did for cutters.

Edited by Mike Hill