British Soldier to Tree Surgeon!!

MrFaz

Jim, you're bang on the money!

And, coincidentally from what I read in your post, appear to have a very similar opinion, set-up and history to my own.

Good on you!

Bloody nice up there too, went to a wedding @ Lossiemouth back in '99 and stayed with a girl friend in Elgin. Didn't realise there was so much land left North of Glasgow! Hell of a journey!

The majority of negative opinion in this thread appears to be from those employed in Arb. I'm happy as Larry, run my own outfit, pick my jobs, don't get involved in bidding wars and don't stress when there's nothing in the book for next week, that's what surf boards are for!

Spot on, that's the same for me, that's why Tomorrow you will find me wreck fishing on the Baygitano :thumbup: Try to avoid working Mondays and Fridays as a general rule anyway, its bad for your health :lol:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That sums it up pretty much for me and how I planned leaving the RAF. I'm doing ok, as are my two colleagues who work with me up here. But i left after 25 years and invested heavily so that I could be my own boss. We've just had a young Army lad do 4 days with us last week to let him gauge the type of work we do. I reckon he could make it as an arb as he put the effort in.

The lad mentioned earlier who was glad to get back to Army life; well I reckon he will come out and be an underachieving car park attendant. Not all the Forces guys are up to it.

Of the 3 mil lads who we did some training with earlier this year at TKF, one runs his own business and the other two walked straight in to arb jobs, beating a lot of civilians because of their work ethos and dedication.

So it can be done. If you are up to the challenges.

I take exception to the comment about being treated like dirt and regarded as tramps. I have yet to meet a customer who doesn't respect what we can do. On the contrary, they take pleasure in watching us and interact with us through the day. I can only think that if an arb turns up looking like a tramp, moans about the work, appears sour-faced, then of course he'll be looked down on. I'd look down on him!

Hi Jim, how far are you from Lossiemouth? One of my mates has just been posted there. He tapped me up for some info before he went ref Arb. He is on the home straight and I know he will be looking for some work experience ( more than likely gratis). He is quite well qualified already - just not sure of the geography!

Cheers

Si

6 miles along the coast from Lossiemouth. I was at Kinloss for 22 years which was good going. Didn't want to go to the rigs and didn't want to move from Moray, hence the tree-surgery.

More than happy for anyone to come along and get some experience of the job.