Chainsaw update training to become mandatory for all operatives from Oct 2013

PhilBeech

I was thinking about this today. It think the likes of FC, UPM, Fountain, Councils, Scottish Woodlands, NPA's, etc, etc should all back this up with a promise of hard cash.

What I have in mind is if their tendering processes insist on seing refresher certs which have to be supplied with the tender as proof then they should all garuantee a minimum wage for saw operators. A minimum mind, nothing to stop them paying more :lol:. So, for example, minimum price for a CS30/31 operator should be, lets say £15 / hour; CS32 - £17.50 / hour; CS 34/35 £20 / hour, climbers... riggers ..... you get the idea. There's nothing to stop you tendering a price of £25 / hour for a CS30/31 if that's what you feel you need to put on the job, but at least we would have a minimum in place. Realistically, if we know these prices most of us would bid at the minimum to try and win the work, but at least then its up to us to sell ourselves on our merits, rather than cut our throats on costs.

I will now return from the land of fantasy with a bump, but it was a nice visit. :lol:

That would seem a sensible idea :thumbup:

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there first post.

Ref; chainsaw update mandatory for all operatives Oct 2013

This will only be for harvesting softwood forests / stands. ie, comercial woods. Not for hardwood stands, or any private hardwood trees, Gardens, parklands etc.

This is not for the Arb industry.

I have talked to Steve who is tasked in making this work For the Forest Industry safety Accord. I have asked him to make a statment on this Forum. He said he will. To all who only cut hardwoos and have become members its a waste of money.

Regards

Andrew

Same old, same old, the only ones who benefit from the extra regulation and associated training will be the ones running the training courses, its already manadatory in the construction sector, all plant tickets have to be renewed every 3 years from memory, I know at least one man who has given up several of his tickets as a result as he is a one man band he cannot afford the time and cost involved to do the refresher courses and now only does his backhoe and dumper ones

Hi there first post.

Ref; chainsaw update mandatory for all operatives Oct 2013

This will only be for harvesting softwood forests / stands. ie, comercial woods. Not for hardwood stands, or any private hardwood trees, Gardens, parklands etc.

This is not for the Arb industry.

I have talked to Steve who is tasked in making this work For the Forest Industry safety Accord. I have asked him to make a statment on this Forum. He said he will. To all who only cut hardwoos and have become members its a waste of money.

Regards

Andrew

I must be really out of it but falling is falling no matter what type of wood .....granted they can behave slightly differently but the falling is the same................so pray tell why only on soft??? ......is it cause some one wants to hit the loggers who tend to cut only that commercially???

I honestly think that is nuts glad it not stateside you'd have a revolution on ya hands and be very unpopular too

I must be really out of it but falling is falling no matter what type of wood .....granted they can behave slightly differently but the falling is the same................so pray tell why only on soft??? ......is it cause some one wants to hit the loggers who tend to cut only that commercially???

I honestly think that is nuts glad it not stateside you'd have a revolution on ya hands and be very unpopular too

Our commercial woods are mostly softwood, mostly a mix of larch, scots and Corsican round here

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

i personally think this whole FISA at the moment is a mess - how can they run it fairly when they treated Donald McClean so badly at the last meeting. we foresters need our voice heard and to kick out the FCA representative just because the chairman doesnt like what he is saying is disguesting to say the least. and then we find out the chairman suprise suprise is the boss of Scottish Woodlands who thrive on bullying tactics.

its a mess

i personally think this whole FISA at the moment is a mess - how can they run it fairly when they treated Donald McClean so badly at the last meeting. we foresters need our voice heard and to kick out the FCA representative just because the chairman doesnt like what he is saying is disguesting to say the least. and then we find out the chairman suprise suprise is the boss of Scottish Woodlands who thrive on bullying tactics.

its a mess

I agree wholeheartedly with the above, except I think the chairman is Tilhill, not SW.

As far as the hardwood is concerned, this must be total nonsense. It has to either apply accross the board or not. Cutting trees proffessionally does not differentiate between hard and soft woods, there may be slightly different skills involved, but accidents happen in both hard and soft wood and this is supposed to be about increasing safety. :confused1:

I agree wholeheartedly with the above, except I think the chairman is Tilhill, not SW.

As far as the hardwood is concerned, this must be total nonsense. It has to either apply accross the board or not. Cutting trees proffessionally does not differentiate between hard and soft woods, there may be slightly different skills involved, but accidents happen in both hard and soft wood and this is supposed to be about increasing safety. :confused1:

They are trying to hit you loggers as you cut mainly soft so your the target

May be some one could ask the seat shiner who dreamt this up if one he ever falled a tree??? two why the discrimination???

You guys seriously need to stand up to these folks less they gonna well I won't say it........

Honestly do they teach different techs on courses for falling hard or soft .....yes I'm well aware of the different tech and what will work on soft will not on hard and vice versa or are they gonna try and cost you guys even more saying "Oh now we got to courses" ???