Who is not qualified...?

Ty Korrigan

I have cs30 31 but as has been said it is no substitute for experience. There are .ads on my course hoping to do their cs tickets who are barely capable of starting the damned things let alone using them lol

Yep seen that, one guy I worked for spent two hours trying to get his saw going on a job, when I went to see what was up he had the saw in bits, I said you did put fuel in didnt you, his answer was "urmmmmmm....:blushing:" also taught him how to drive his landrover off road after sitting quietly in the passenger seat while he made umpteen attempts at a not very steep incline with a trailer on :001_cool::laugh1:

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive been in business 23yrs - I did my RFS cert Arb and passed the written with credit - I didnt take any NPTC certs as I was too busy and didnt need them - I didnt know how important they were going to be in the future.

Ive since got the knapsack spraying one ,cs 30/31 ua 1 and 2.1 currently doing ua 5

And yes I can do it all, well. Rigging, felling large trees etc

I'm fully qualified and all my staff are. I wouldn't employ anyone who wasn't.

You can argue its only a bit of paper and it doesn't count for experience but that's rubbish. I've been driving since I was 6 but still needed to take a driving test.... Still needed the bit of paper.

You can be the most experienced person in the world, but you all that means is you can be experienced in doing it wrong.

Qualifications are the way forward IMO,

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I'm currently climbing, and learning on the job. I'm doing my tickets as quickly as I can.

I have cs30/31 (cost me £1000!) :/

I have said this before but as Bruce Lee said " If you want to learn how to swim, throw yourself into water. Because on land no frame of mind will help you"

I'm 22, left school into work at 15 and have no gcse's. Now run my own successful business.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Top man....!

I'm a qualified mechanic, years at college learnt plenty of stuff in books but really got to it in the work place where you learn something new everyday.

I have nothing for chainsaws or felling trees, for that I use experience and good old common sense. It also helps that my Dad has plenty of woodland for me to play with. Got to keep the wood shed full, winters are cold in the hills.

Hello, lurker now poster.

I've been out of the industry for a while (15 years) and went back to college this year to re-train and learn the "proper" way, my understanding is that you can't get liability insurance without nptc's. Is that not the case? If not I'll put my money back in my pocket and not bother with the cert's as it all seems a bit of a revenue stream for all involved.

John

Nptcs are proof of competence and understanding regarding safe practice... I have mine, as do the guys I work with, I also carry level 3 forestry and arb.. wouldn't have it any other way... at no point do I suggest that nptc tickets are the equivalent of experience, I'm starting out at 34 having been a builder for 13 years and I know the value of experience, however I believe in training... I've heard it all before in building.. "can't teach me anything I don't know".. "been doing this longer than assessor"... blah blah :rolleyes::rolleyes:.. I don't doubt these people know a lot more than I, but everyone should make the effort to keep up with modern safe practice... guessing we all still flush cut and fill cavitys right :P.. its expensive.. agreed but certs are important and no matter the cost I'll continue to train in certs while learning through experience as I go... only we can regulate our companies and industry at ground level... imo