Who is not qualified...?

Ty Korrigan

Well here's a thought. You did a few certificates a long time ago, and some theory too, then learned and learned well on the job, but then one of your best customers changes the goal posts, and invites you to become an Arb Approved Contractor, and suddenly you need refreshers, more courses, and your self employed subbies, might not make the grade - Will they want to pay for their own training too? You will have to employ someone or sometwo properly, and they will need their certificates and they will need to be good, or prepared to get good.

All good stuff, but it has all come at once. My advise is do the courses, and start now. Think long term, what will you be doing when you are 50?

Anyone interested in refreshing all their certificates, as our local trainer (Derbyshire/ Yorkshire area) charges the same for a course for one or a course for 4.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most "Arbs can't tell a birch from a beech" utter nonsense (Lots can't spell them admittedly!)The rest is fairly ridiculous aswell, "everything else is unknown" poppycock! (can I say poppycock?)

Ok, what can you recognise with trees? Fungi types and species? Management techniques? Associated dependant species? Could you identify down to taxonomical names? Most 'arbs' round here can't tell certain trees apart, they couldn't ID a tree if you pointed at them! They're so used to pruning, dismantling, and anything else that just means they wave a saw about, tell them you want dead limbs retaining or pollards and they give you a funny look, so in my opinion, a little bit of training and qualifications goes a long way (more than the basic NPTC tickets), although an interest past just doing the work, and at knock off time just switching off helps

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I can ID most native uk trees by common and botanical names, have a small amount of knowledge of fungi.

Posses a few tickets and I will, in due time take the wrest.

But having done my tickets fairly recently and seen who can "pass" an assessment, I would not consider it to prove much more than a basic understanding of the HS and legal side of things. The wrest comes from studying/experience.

Ok, what can you recognise with trees? Fungi types and species? Management techniques? Associated dependant species? Could you identify down to taxonomical names? Most 'arbs' round here can't tell certain trees apart, they couldn't ID a tree if you pointed at them! They're so used to pruning, dismantling, and anything else that just means they wave a saw about, tell them you want dead limbs retaining or pollards and they give you a funny look, so in my opinion, a little bit of training and qualifications goes a long way (more than the basic NPTC tickets), although an interest past just doing the work, and at knock off time just switching off helps

In what direction and to what purpose?

In what direction and to what purpose?

Any direction that compounds the knowledge in our line of work, fungi is a good area to get into, as there are so many different types that affect the trees, be they saprophytic, or mycorrhizal, too many people just see fungi and have the tree out, I know I'm a bugger for removing anything with a bracket type fruit body, but they do rot trees, I think that the industry could benefit from short courses that give a qualification in conservation or arboriculture/silviculture. I would love to see an increase in conservation and a push to increase hedge laying or pollards and coppice work, with the increase of popularity of woodworking and firewood the latter 2 could be done for a better profit than growing it up, hacking it down and replanting. I find TO are a little too quick with that idea!

Any direction that compounds the knowledge in our line of work, fungi is a good area to get into, as there are so many different types that affect the trees, be they saprophytic, or mycorrhizal, too many people just see fungi and have the tree out, I know I'm a bugger for removing anything with a bracket type fruit body, but they do rot trees, I think that the industry could benefit from short courses that give a qualification in conservation or arboriculture/silviculture. I would love to see an increase in conservation and a push to increase hedge laying or pollards and coppice work, with the increase of popularity of woodworking and firewood the latter 2 could be done for a better profit than growing it up, hacking it down and replanting. I find TO are a little too quick with that idea!

So are you an arborist?

You missed parasitic

And you don't need that to call yourself an arborist, the same way you only need a trowel and a line to call yourself a bricklayer