insurance cancelled

About 2 weeks ago I phone my insurance company, which I have been with 5 years to get a quote from them to add a new motor to the policy, they said before we can give you a quote we want proof of public liability employees liability a few other things and proof I have plant insurance for our mini digger and other stuff????? The digger is insured for theft along with the other stuff. I do advertise that we hire a driver out with the digger, we also use it on our land and on our own jobs. so I sent all the info that they asked for and they said they still want to see proof I have plant insurance or they are cancelling the policy.

I paid for the policy in full and they will not refund me because the policy is over 4 months old.

I have had a few new quotes for commercial insurance and told them about the plant I have and they was not interested.

Any one else had problems like this???

I don't see what relevance any of that has to your motor insurance, but with insurance companies you just never know what they're going to come up with.

I had my van insured with NFU and when I went to them for a quote on a 4x4 as well they said they wouldn't cover it and may not actually be able to cover the van either! I didn't hang around long enough for them to make their mind up and immediately cancelled the van insurance and took my business somewhere else.

I found a proper broker who I could have a proper conversation with who took the time to understand my businesses. It ended up saving me money too!

Not give you your money back? Is that even legal?

I would get in touch with one of the legal bods in the tabloid press. What other insurance you hold is none of their business and any reference to it should be limited to 'Could we quote you at renewal time?'

One of the things you'll have to do before hiring a solicitor, is have a look through the fine print. Most motor insurance policies state that if a policy is canceled, the whole sum is payable immediately and in full. Since you have already paid in full, they may have a case in writing, that allows them to keep your money. I'm not saying it's fare, just that that may be the case. Insurance companies like banks, are a law unto themselves. If they can get away with it, (and keep your money as well) they will. And the law will back 'them' to the hilt.

Insurance companies, like banks, aren't in their business to do you a favour. They're there to make profit for their shareholders and fat cat bosses. And if that means flogging you over a barrel, they'll happily do it and sleep soundly.

Never had any problems with insuring kit, its all with NFU though, the only thing I have noticed with them is in the last couple of years that is that timber haulage on the road and felling of roadside trees has been removed from the standard tractor insurance and also spraying has been removed from the public liability insurance and has to be added as a specific item :sneaky2:

Insurance is one of my pet hates from when I ran a tree surgery outfit with 12 staff aged from late teens to late 30s. Back then (14 years ago), my single cab 130 with pickup body cost half to insure what my 4x4 Transit did because it went on an Ag and Forestry Policy but the Transit had to go on Commercial Vehicle policy, but they did the same job. My ex Royal Mail Astravan cost the same to insure as my £38k 4x4 Iveco! And my streched Range Rover was dearer for me and the then wife than if I had it "any driver, any age"!!!!

• 2 months later...