A MOG and A Run in with VOSA !!!!

to put you guys in the picture this guy is genuine and i have made sure of it .

I will happily get an O licence if i genuinely need to BUT there is more than one element to an O licence and so far i have been informed by plating and testing at vosa that i am exempt from plating and testing , i am also exempt from having to have hgv2 licences under sections 5456 of the driver licencing regulations ! So in short i am exempt from 75% of an O licence !

I will happily have a bolted front mounted chipper fixed to the front of my chipper if that is what it takes (its what i would like anyway) the rules are exeptionally grey and in most cases conflicting. How many mog owners running an ag built mog that use it solely for chipping run them on an O licence ?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes that is a choice we as big grown up adults can make :biggrin:

Aye not that I would ever do such a thing:blushing: But if I did have a 7.5t with hiab and chip body I may be tempted to do it until I got caught:sneaky2:

It's gona happen sometime then I'll be forced to go down the O-licence route or get rid, until that time I'll carry on!

R

So you can only go 1.5kms from base... you get your figures right there... becaus i dont think you have

goods vehicles, other than an agricultural motor vehicle, used only for purposes relating to agriculture, horticulture or forestry: - is used on roads only in passing between different areas of land occupied by the same person - in passing between any two such areas does not travel a distance exceeding 1.5 kilometres on roads

From VOSA site, as we were advised by The Man. So unless you register Mog etc as Ag motor vehicle which we have been told we can't...seems they are gradually blocking the loopholes.

but until a specific category for unimogs is formed then they are mearly working on most similar category's , there is not one specific category that a unimog or more specifically an ag mog can fit into - it is from this point that vosa start to lose the argument , and more to the point there are almost no mogs that came out of the factory as ag mogs that run an O licence based purely on the fact that the legislation surrounding them and the common category's that the vosa man tries to put them into do not add up . How can you run a mog on an O licence which therefore makes if an hgv and expected to comply with plating and testing regs , driver licencing regs etc etc when it is already proven that said machine is exempt ??

and this is what the kind chap at vosa's plating and testing department has told me

but until a specific category for unimogs is formed then they are mearly working on most similar category's , there is not one specific category that a unimog or more specifically an ag mog can fit into - it is from this point that vosa start to lose the argument , and more to the point there are almost no mogs that came out of the factory as ag mogs that run an O licence based purely on the fact that the legislation surrounding them and the common category's that the vosa man tries to put them into do not add up . How can you run a mog on an O licence which therefore makes if an hgv and expected to comply with plating and testing regs , driver licencing regs etc etc when it is already proven that said machine is exempt ??

and this is what the kind chap at vosa's plating and testing department has told me

You need to get away from the "what its registered as" angle, its what you are using it as that’s the issue.

For example a mewp is exempt and can run in red but you can’t carry a load other than tools, you certainly can’t fit a tipper and shift waste, unless you comply to the general haulage regulations.

I havent read the whole thread because I haven't time:

Write them a letter stating your case clearly.

It sounds like you are okay.

I got stopped at the roadside many years ago and they used me as a 'test case'.

I had to prove it was ag and they did not know their arse from their elbow and threatened to confiscate the vehicle at roadside. I did have a letter from VOSA but that is long gone I'm afraid.

Don't sweat over it. Concentrate on your new baby.