Mini diggers, anybody using them for tree work?

dave28

1.5 toners are a complete no brainer in my opinion and if you have that sort of application then they are simply the cheapest man on the job.

I've always found that having a digger on site clearance keeps the other operatives more motivated if they've got to work in front or alongside the machine. The Operator really has little need to stop apart from break times and everyone else has to keep pace with this.

I'd say that the bet bet for anyone if their budget will run to it is to aim for a Takeuchi TB016 (expanding tracks).

This machine really does punch above it's weight and has actually fooled many genuine operators that it's a 2.5 tonner!

They have a very long reach for this class and are blessed with very smooth powerful hydraulics, but still very stable.

These machines have a legendary reputation now among plant hire companies and are the machine of choice for the self drive fleets, because of their reliability along with simplicity plus the total lack of expensive plastic bits that can be damaged.

A quick look around will show they fetch really good money and sell very quickly, meaning you'll pay a bit more to get into one but if it doesn't work out you probably won't lose a penny for having quite a bit of work out of one.

I'd recommend fitting a Thumb and a Semi Quick Hitch for ease of use and great all round ability, with the Semi Quick Hitch helping prevent wear in the pins/bushes from bucket changes.

A hydraulic Thumb would be a very nice luxury, but in this size of machine it's only a few minutes to remove a whole thumb assembly.

I'm Kubota through and through, and if it were my own machine and nobody else were ever to go near it then the Kubota KX018 offers a superior package in terms of build/fit/finish, but in the self drive or tough applications a Takeuchi TB016 can't be beat.

Get one bought is my advice and I doubt you'll regret it or even lose a penny if you do?

Eddie.

I can only ditto what Eddie has already said.... we decided to invest in a Takeuchi TB016 late last year having hired one for a few months previous.... fantastic machines!! :thumbup:

5976633aa8685_Takeuchism.jpg.3eccf568addde4f9e174d2b3396e3163.jpg

2.5 toners are a bit of an oddball in my opinion and can bring so many hassles when it comes to transport.

I fully agree it is possible and i have done a lot of it, to move them with a suitable 3500kg tow vehicle.

The hassles start to come in the larger trailers they require that really aren't as versatile to have about than the standard plant trailer or flatbed that 1.5 toners can be moved on easily.

Weight and keeping something like legal is the other issue, with my Defender for example always being pretty well laden down itself and to keep things legal with a set of perhaps 5 buckets and a breaker to take with you it all gets a bit messy?

I can honestly say that in most applications you'll hardly know the difference from a Takeuchi TB016/Kubota Kx018 to a 2.5 tonner? Weight always brings stronger digging/lifting performance, but real world it'll not do a lot more for the extra money and that's why I feel most then jump straight into the 3 tonne plus machines and go the 7.5 tonner route to stay legal.

Blades that is a really nice unit and not all that common with the full cab, but in your location you'll need it!:big grin:

Perhaps you could share just how little fuel you actually put through the Takeuchi in a days work? I hire one on a regular basis and am always shocked by how much work they'll do in a day on so little.

I'd say you've got as sound investment there and pretty much money in the bank.

I'm actually just on the lookout for one at the moment for myself for some fill in work and to have about the yard for lifting stuff about.

I'll probably go down the Thumb route with it and won't be scared to send it out for a bit of self drive.

Eddie.

2.5 toners are a bit of an oddball in my opinion and can bring so many hassles when it comes to transport.

I fully agree it is possible and i have done a lot of it, to move them with a suitable 3500kg tow vehicle.

The hassles start to come in the larger trailers they require that really aren't as versatile to have about than the standard plant trailer or flatbed that 1.5 toners can be moved on easily.

Weight and keeping something like legal is the other issue, with my Defender for example always being pretty well laden down itself and to keep things legal with a set of perhaps 5 buckets and a breaker to take with you it all gets a bit messy?

I can honestly say that in most applications you'll hardly know the difference from a Takeuchi TB016/Kubota Kx018 to a 2.5 tonner? Weight always brings stronger digging/lifting performance, but real world it'll not do a lot more for the extra money and that's why I feel most then jump straight into the 3 tonne plus machines and go the 7.5 tonner route to stay legal.

Blades that is a really nice unit and not all that common with the full cab, but in your location you'll need it!:big grin:

Perhaps you could share just how little fuel you actually put through the Takeuchi in a days work? I hire one on a regular basis and am always shocked by how much work they'll do in a day on so little.

I'd say you've got as sound investment there and pretty much money in the bank.

I'm actually just on the lookout for one at the moment for myself for some fill in work and to have about the yard for lifting stuff about.

I'll probably go down the Thumb route with it and won't be scared to send it out for a bit of self drive.

Eddie.

I concur with the above and pretty much all the opinions before re workrates, productivity etc.

1.5t might be a little bit slower, but have proved to be profitable for me. The flexibility is what I like best- if you could make more money on a big job doing it faster, then just hire one for that job.

Re the fuel- mine will work all day on 15 litres. Which is insane value for money.

I'd have to reccomend a proper grapple though. Not too expensive, around £500 for a 1.5 tonner and worth every penny. With mine I can handle timber effortlessly, tease small stumps out and then grab them to dispose of, as well as carefully pluck saplings out, roots and all.

You'll be at a disadvantage with a thumb and bucket as opposed to a grapple if most of the work is going to be handling timber and brash.

Had a job a few years ago clearing 1-2" pine regrowth on the heath. Contractor had a big show on for the committe, blokes with clearing saws, bundling it to a chipper then painting the stumps with roundup.

Sod that, me on the digger could do the work of the three men, no need for a chipper or roundup as you pull the roots out as well. Pluck, drop, pluck drop, pluck, drop, pick up the bundle and track to the next clump!

It's been said time and time again- a mini is the cheapest man on the job. Your imagination is the limit.

I owe a big thanks to Eddie here. He was featured in Earthmovers mag, saying how easy it was to grab a log and smooth out disturbed ground. So simple when you think about it, but I couldn't see the wood for the trees! :lol

Thanks Eddie. Well fuel wise I totally agree, always surprised at how little it uses. Quite hard to quantify without getting scientific but I would say in the past when we have hired diggers of this size we used fuel in one day that the Takeuchi would take at least 2 days to use.... Often it feels like we get into a third before refuelling. Overall really pleased with it. I would also say that it is without doubt the easiest of diggers to grade with smoothly. :thumbup1:

1.5 toners are a complete no brainer in my opinion and if you have that sort of application then they are simply the cheapest man on the job.

I've always found that having a digger on site clearance keeps the other operatives more motivated if they've got to work in front or alongside the machine. The Operator really has little need to stop apart from break times and everyone else has to keep pace with this.

I'd say that the bet bet for anyone if their budget will run to it is to aim for a Takeuchi TB016 (expanding tracks).

This machine really does punch above it's weight and has actually fooled many genuine operators that it's a 2.5 tonner!

They have a very long reach for this class and are blessed with very smooth powerful hydraulics, but still very stable.

These machines have a legendary reputation now among plant hire companies and are the machine of choice for the self drive fleets, because of their reliability along with simplicity plus the total lack of expensive plastic bits that can be damaged.

A quick look around will show they fetch really good money and sell very quickly, meaning you'll pay a bit more to get into one but if it doesn't work out you probably won't lose a penny for having quite a bit of work out of one.

I'd recommend fitting a Thumb and a Semi Quick Hitch for ease of use and great all round ability, with the Semi Quick Hitch helping prevent wear in the pins/bushes from bucket changes.

A hydraulic Thumb would be a very nice luxury, but in this size of machine it's only a few minutes to remove a whole thumb assembly.

I'm Kubota through and through, and if it were my own machine and nobody else were ever to go near it then the Kubota KX018 offers a superior package in terms of build/fit/finish, but in the self drive or tough applications a Takeuchi TB016 can't be beat.

Get one bought is my advice and I doubt you'll regret it or even lose a penny if you do?

Eddie.

+1 for kubota has more power than the rest. more like a 2.5 tonne machine ang goes on a trailor no prob used a lot for grave digging due to its long reach. when i have he cash thats what i will get. takachi good machines.