Mini diggers, anybody using them for tree work?

dave28

Been thinking about buying a mini digger, the small one and a half ton size.

I hire one 2 or 3 weeks a year for general clearing up and digging work around the estate. If I could make good use of it in a small firewood yard and for any sort of other handling and loading work I reckon I could justify buying a used one.

I've seen pictures of machines with a "thumb" fitted on the digger arm so that the bucket can work as a kind of grapple allowing it to pickup brush and cord.

I am sure it's not without hazards swinging a heavy log around on a 360 slew but I'd be interested to hear if anyone has found them useful.

Thanks.

I had one and got rid as I can hire one very cheaply without the running costs. They can be useful for ripping out stumps, moving timber if u fit a log grab, tidying the chip pile. If you can pick one up for a bargin then get one.

Sold a 1 1/2 tonner last summer,(couldnt resist the profit).

Still got a little 3/4 ton one,quick hitch & some interesting buckets, a singke claw,& a 3 tined rake type bucket for removing heavy bramble etc by the roots.

Would'nt be without one.:001_smile:

I got a 3 tonnerand fitted it with a thumb from digbt$ I changed the solid bar with a ram which is the same lenth as the solid bar when extended as I found the bucket was going into the ground before contacting with the "thumb" best thing I ever did great for cord and clearing brash and allsorts would not be without it now

only thing I would say a 1 1/2 tonner may be a bit small

I will take some new photos tomorrow as cant find the ones i have on this new computer

I have a 1.5t (nearer 2 ton in practise tho) which i use alot for tree work- not so much domestic arb jobs as usually the hassle of getting it to sight isn't worth it, however for scrub clearance, felling general sorting jobs its excellant. it'l do the work of 7 men without a sweat, there are 2 types of fixed arm grabs- one is a fixed brace thumb which welds onto the dipper arm and works with the opening/closing of the bucket, the other type is a purposebuilt grab which replace the bucket altogether and usually has 3-2 tines, this is what i have on mine and it pick up to a maximum of just over 2ft in diameter. a 18inch log 10ft long is no problem at all for it

I use my mini digger with a post knocker- post auger- grapple and loads of different buckets and its the most essential bit of kit i own and makes me more money then any other kit i own. Get one!

• Like 1

I got a 3 tonnerand fitted it with a thumb from digbt$ I changed the solid bar with a ram which is the same lenth as the solid bar when extended as I found the bucket was going into the ground before contacting with the "thumb" best thing I ever did great for cord and clearing brash and allsorts would not be without it now

only thing I would say a 1 1/2 tonner may be a bit small

I will take some new photos tomorrow as cant find the ones i have on this new computer

I would tend to agree with this-a 3 tonner is certainly better and many times i v looked into replacing mine but the trouble is transporting around, 3 tons plus trailer, buckets, grapple and whatever else is going to be near 4 tons which puts it out of tranportability with a pickup, Thats the beauty of the 1.5 ton is its so easy to move from job to job without involving tractors etc.

Just make sure you get one with expanding tracks- and defo reccomend a cab in these weather conditions! When its peeing down i love just sitting in my digger with the heater on moving/ sorting logs and brash etc:thumbup1:

1.5 toners are a complete no brainer in my opinion and if you have that sort of application then they are simply the cheapest man on the job.

I've always found that having a digger on site clearance keeps the other operatives more motivated if they've got to work in front or alongside the machine. The Operator really has little need to stop apart from break times and everyone else has to keep pace with this.

I'd say that the bet bet for anyone if their budget will run to it is to aim for a Takeuchi TB016 (expanding tracks).

This machine really does punch above it's weight and has actually fooled many genuine operators that it's a 2.5 tonner!

They have a very long reach for this class and are blessed with very smooth powerful hydraulics, but still very stable.

These machines have a legendary reputation now among plant hire companies and are the machine of choice for the self drive fleets, because of their reliability along with simplicity plus the total lack of expensive plastic bits that can be damaged.

A quick look around will show they fetch really good money and sell very quickly, meaning you'll pay a bit more to get into one but if it doesn't work out you probably won't lose a penny for having quite a bit of work out of one.

I'd recommend fitting a Thumb and a Semi Quick Hitch for ease of use and great all round ability, with the Semi Quick Hitch helping prevent wear in the pins/bushes from bucket changes.

A hydraulic Thumb would be a very nice luxury, but in this size of machine it's only a few minutes to remove a whole thumb assembly.

I'm Kubota through and through, and if it were my own machine and nobody else were ever to go near it then the Kubota KX018 offers a superior package in terms of build/fit/finish, but in the self drive or tough applications a Takeuchi TB016 can't be beat.

Get one bought is my advice and I doubt you'll regret it or even lose a penny if you do?

Eddie.