Will the friction hitch become extinct?

holdatcharlie

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They still teach and assess the 3 knot system. I like the idea of the zig zag but I don't think the hitch cord will be replaced. On its own its versatile and put it together with a pulley either hitch climber or something similar and it becomes even more useable in different situations.

So yes the zigzag is a good idea but its a mechanical version of something that already works.

And what happens when the links get worn out? I'm sure the most expensive cord is cheaper than a new zigzag or even a new part if they do that*I don't know if they do

Justin has said that the zigzag will have avaible spares for it to be bought, but as ive said eariler u cant get rid of the basics. Sure we have gps etc but the military still teach map reading for example

Good point Mog...using a saturated/semi frozen rope on a lockjack the other week was a bit hair-raising..went through a pair of gloves in just one climb!:scared1:...sometimes a 6 wrap prussik or a blakes with an extra turn in it does the trick on a slippy rope....or...stay at home and get skint!

I'm sure it will one day..

At the moment I can't see it though.

Due to the unique style of our industry in comparison to most other rope (access) works that require mainly rope work tec's that rely on given solid variables & mainly only as life support rather than in the true sense of access as access to carry out the work required, I can't see the knots being replaced with something that is so adjustable for the individual user & dedicated to (with the use of other gizmos) get the user in & out of dynamic work positioning.

I LOVE the whole act of tying the knots, and the price.

I quite fancied the idea of a spiderjack for a while but I'm well over that. The zigzag doesn't appeal to me at all.

I like the versatility of cord, I can tie what I want where I like.

The only mechanical doodah which does appeal is a cinch for my strop, but I'm not lusting after it so much that I'm going to order one. Going to spend it on a snake anchor instead.

I think the only way the friction hitch will be killed off is if the HSE delude themselves into believing we're as thick as they are and shouldn't be allowed to tie our own knots.....let's hope they get disbanded before that happens....

I have a cinch on my strop but it's left hand use only and is now redundant. I prefer a michoacan hitch with a micro pulley. Works sweet as. Just the left hand operation of the cinch felt all wrong.