Tips for cleaning sap from ropes and kit??

Timber Tom

I guess a serious issue with not cleaning ropes, be they climbing or rigging, is that more often than not they will have the very high risk for being a vector for transferring fungal spores, disease and pest eggs from one Tree to another.

With this in mind, I suggest it would be good practice to be aware of the potential of this occuring and take on board that it may not only be woodchip and paycheck, that you take away with you at the end of the day.

:001_smile:

So are you saying that ropes should be "disinfected" after working on deceased trees?:confused1:

And does ANYONE do this????

I don't think that washing with warm water would make much difference.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So are you saying that ropes should be "disinfected" after working on deceased trees?:confused1:

And does ANYONE do this????

I don't think that washing with warm water would make much difference.

I'm certainly not an angel when it comes to this Dave.

Probably washed my rope twice over the years, both times when it was covered in spores from Cryptostroma corticale (Sooty bark)

Just making the point to myself and us all, that we should probably be more mindful of what we may be carrying around.

More often than not, due to the nature of our work, we're dismantling dead/diseased trees which may or may not be hosting sporulating fruiting bodies.

Good house keeping, with regards the above, dare I say it = an enhanced professional modus operandi.

Methinks I'll be trying to take this onboard more often, myself :blushing:

As to how many do this already......your guess is as good as mine. :001_smile:

Edited by Monkey-D

Do you really think I dont know what it,s like ?

Well I assumed yes since you said use warm water and that wont work :confused1:

Suppose I may have got things mixed up when I said conifers, its pine and fir that stickies ropes, prussiks up.

Anyhow its not something I do on a regular basis only ever "washed" a rope once and that was when it was covered in dog S**T

Anyway petrol removes resin quick and fast if your covered in the S**T thats all I was saying, not forcing people to use the stuff.

Washing machine, old pillow case and mild detergent, i used vanish once, small amount, spent the next two days with my sunnies on, rope was damn bright. Petrol and rope sounds bad, petrol will eventually break nylon based stuff down. Just saying be carefull, On the note of diseases and cleaning ropes, you should be cleaning all saws as well if working on a diseased tree. A lot of the citrus based mountain bike cleaning agents work really well on saws, smell nice too afterwards. Remember we dont want to become a vector in disease spread do we.

Old pillow case and a mild detergent in the washing machine i find works best. However the weight of the wet rope can put stress on the bearings in machine when spinning, so take it to the local Launderette, or use a works machine if you have them provided!! Just don't tumble dry it!!!:scared1: