I need a new truck/tipper but what do i go for??

jnoon

Hi all,

I posted a thread a while ago (which arb truck would suit me?? ideas and tips).

I'm still undecided and need a new vehicle so any help will be VERY GRATEFULLY RECEIVED!!

Anyway, I've now been self employed for 10 months and my poor little van is really starting to struggle with the work load. I currently have a Peugeot 106 1.5 diesel van with mesh trailer that is cheap and economical to run but is small and very underpowered.

Its time to move on to a bigger better vehicle.

I can't make my mind up whether to go for a 4x4 or tipper.

Quite a lot of my work is subbing for other tree surgeons so I guess the 4x4 would be better for this, as it would hold a load of logs, have 4WD, do well for most applications and if a crew cab was bought valuables could go in behind back seats with high sides put on back to collect chip/brash. with the possibility of a Pro tipper in time.

I wouldn't really want to be running around in a big transit on a daily basis. however you would have tipping facility and room to hold S**T loads of logs and chip but I've been in transits/ivecos/cabstars when then have got stuck on grass trying to tip chip, not good!! As I can only afford to run one vehicle I need to make the right decision first time!!!

I've read countless threads on arb vehicles etc but still can't make my mind up. My work breaks down into tree surgery, tree felling, hedge cutting, hedge laying, landscaping and logs.

It appears to me that running costs are similar whether you go for a tranny style tipper or 4x4.

so which set-ups do you people have?

I GUESS I'M LOOKING FOR SOMETHING TO -

- carry at least a tonne

- look presentable

- pull a trailer with ease

- carry minimum of 2 people

- have room for tool storage

- be suitable for shooting/hunting outside of work

- have mpg of at least 30

- be narrow enough for our country lanes

- and most importantly be reliable.

Most of my jobs are small, when I get big jobs I just get somebody in with a suitable vehicle. so I'm swinging towards a club cab 4x4 at the moment with chequer plate high sides. Then I guess its personal preference whether you go for L200, ranger, isuzu, hilux or Landy hi cap.

So please can you help/advise me on which set-ups you run and why, I'm happy to listen to the people with more experience in tree work than me.

THANKS JOSH:thumbup:

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

I posted a thread a while ago (which arb truck would suit me?? ideas and tips).

I'm still undecided and need a new vehicle so any help will be VERY GRATEFULLY RECEIVED!!

Anyway, I've now been self employed for 10 months and my poor little van is really starting to struggle with the work load. I currently have a Peugeot 106 1.5 diesel van with mesh trailer that is cheap and economical to run but is small and very underpowered.

Its time to move on to a bigger better vehicle.

I can't make my mind up whether to go for a 4x4 or tipper.

Quite a lot of my work is subbing for other tree surgeons so I guess the 4x4 would be better for this, as it would hold a load of logs, have 4WD, do well for most applications and if a crew cab was bought valuables could go in behind back seats with high sides put on back to collect chip/brash. with the possibility of a Pro tipper in time.

I wouldn't really want to be running around in a big transit on a daily basis. however you would have tipping facility and room to hold S**T loads of logs and chip but I've been in transits/ivecos/cabstars when then have got stuck on grass trying to tip chip, not good!! As I can only afford to run one vehicle I need to make the right decision first time!!!

I've read countless threads on arb vehicles etc but still can't make my mind up. My work breaks down into tree surgery, tree felling, hedge cutting, hedge laying, landscaping and logs.

It appears to me that running costs are similar whether you go for a tranny style tipper or 4x4.

so which set-ups do you people have?

I GUESS I'M LOOKING FOR SOMETHING TO -

- carry at least a tonne

- look presentable

- pull a trailer with ease

- carry minimum of 2 people

- have room for tool storage

- be suitable for shooting/hunting outside of work

- have mpg of at least 30

- be narrow enough for our country lanes

- and most importantly be reliable.

Most of my jobs are small, when I get big jobs I just get somebody in with a suitable vehicle. so I'm swinging towards a club cab 4x4 at the moment with chequer plate high sides. Then I guess its personal preference whether you go for L200, ranger, isuzu, hilux or Landy hi cap.

So please can you help/advise me on which set-ups you run and why, I'm happy to listen to the people with more experience in tree work than me.

THANKS JOSH:thumbup:

HI ALL will any of them do 30 mpg when you work them i can not see it:laugh1: but can you :thumbup1:jon :thumbup: