Prices too cheap

Rowden the cowboy

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only way to progress the industry to a point where our earnings reflect what we do is to eliminate the 'fringe contractors'. i.e. gypos, cowboys, gardeners etc and make it an elite only profession.

But until our errors kill members of the public, like gas engineers could, there will never be tight legislation to control our industry.

The government will never fund such a scheme, like Gas Safe, and no private consortium or VC group will do it as there won't be a financial return for them.

In short, control of our industry will never happen across all sectors. ChaS, AA & HSE enforce control measures in the commercial sector but I'T AIN'T GOONA HAPPEN in the domestic market!

In an ideal world we would all like to charge more for the work we do but since our economy took a turn for the worst everyone seems to have a chainsaw and think its easy to do tree work. I had a lady call up and as if I could go and look at a tree I'm her garden, when I arrived there was a nice new car on the drive of the big detached house. She explained that the tree in the garden needs lopping off there!! I explained that it needs reducing down to a suitable growth point and a bit of thinning, she told me that she didn't want that she just wanted it lopping off there. I have her a quote to do the propper job of 400 and a quote of 280 to just lop it. She told me the gardener would lop it for 80 quid!! Bye,Bye.

Agree very much so. Greater promotion of our industry to the public would be great , someone call the the Discovery channel lets get our own series going !

How would that help????:confused1:

If anything it would encourage more into the industry which would simply drive down prices further.

How would that help????:confused1:

If anything it would encourage more into the industry which would simply drive down prices further.

I think what he's getting at is promote the side of the industry to educate people about proper tree care, make sure your arborist is qualified and insured etc etc why good tree work is expensive etc..

... and so hopefully the public would then spend more money on a qualified person doing the job rather than matey with a chainsaw. Education of the public is the only way forward IMO.

Agree very much so. Greater promotion of our industry to the public would be great , someone call the the Discovery channel lets get our own series going !

That would attract more 'have a go merchants'.

Also, pros wouldn't make good entertaining viewing. Have you ever seen S&S Aqua loggers? Holy cow.

• 3 weeks later...

thought id chuck my two pence in here.

Did an apprenticeship in bricklaying but worked mainly as a general builder, bro in law is a climber and as such hes carried plenty hods and ive done plenty of days as a groundy (wouldn't catch me up the tree though)

I reckon i use tools of more value than him because the range of work i do is so diverse, carpentry brickwork, groundwork,roofing, scaffolding etc. But minus scaffolding his job is more dangerous. I can earn slighty more per day than him.

Price myself out labour only at £120-180mostly depending how rich orhow much i like and respect customer. But the main difference i see is the size of jobs taken on. Most of my jobs may last 6 months to year and are priced not day rate. also include lots of materials etc. his jobs a big one wont last a week and no materials just removal of rubbish if customerswants it gone.

Basically all this means your prices are more transparent. Work can be quantified easier, my prices get lost in different trades, materials etc so customer doesent know what they are paying for, so i can afford to pay subbies a bit more.

Not to say Polish and others aren't making this hard, Getting out of construction now anyways with aim to buy small woodland instead.

Hope this helps

James