Whitefinger and other injuries.

Graham

When I was 17 one of my jobs was hedge trimming....bloody miles of it.  I used a pneumatic hedge trimmer and the compressor was driven off the tractor pto.  The vibrations were so bad that my fingers used to lock into one position and the pain in my joints was awful.

Thought nothing of it at the time and endured weeks of it but I'm sure it helped out my journey into whitefinger and swollen painful fingers.

It does seem to have gone up a notch recently. I'm starting with trigger finger as a dull pain. 

But how much do you blame just on tools? I've ridden peds/ motor bikes for about 7 yrs before I got my car licence, then i bought a landy. Both my old landy and newer one both vibrate through the steering wheel. Then there's the tractors... quads... playing sport (in my case hockey) all adds up 

2 hours ago, casto2 said:

Yeah not a great age to get it and I'm a long way from retirement  (I'm 32!) Yeah strimmers aren't great but I also put it down to hedge cutting as well.

I was diagnosed with circulatory problems in my arms when I was 16, motor biking exacerbated it and chainsaws were the final touch  but I agree hedgecutters set me off worse. You can mitigate the effects by keeping warm such that it was manageable at work but I suffered most when taking the kids in the sea during holidays.

• 2 weeks later...

Working in proximity to viscous thorns is part and parcel of everyday tree and hedge work.
Most of us see them coming and avoid the devils but 3 or 4 weeks ago I got stabbed in the back of my leg, in the muscle. After a week the infection got worse and in no time looked very bad.
Mrs oldwoodcutter cast an eye over it and
booked me an appointment and the quack gave me 56 Flucloxacillin, after a week the infection has shrunk by half got another week to go.

2 minutes ago, Dodge said:

Im currently running with a Rotator cuff tear ouchhhh  Memo to self straight pull on saw starter, not a half arsed side pull in future !!!

5 weeks and still struggling to lift my arm never mind start a saw  

Have you had a scan to prove it is that.

Broken right wrist, didn't realise I'd done it for three weeks so kept working and popping painkillers. Three years on it's still sore..... Oh and it's just got cold so it's got loads better not!  31 and the injuries are tapping me on the shoulder not looking forward to twenty years time. It's ok though the mrs has said she'll fasten my boots in a morning so I can keep her in the manner she has grown accustomed , so all good!  Cheers love