Late cancellations as a subbie... Charge? Fee?

swinny

Just wondering if any of you subbies have written into or even use t&c's and saying that if cancelled with short notice that the contractor will be billed a % of your rate?

Or something along the lines of this...

Usually i don't work for the companies again if they play this trick often but think they should still pay you something as the day is knackered if you haven't anything else to fill it with! And you have a set amount to earn each week just like the jokers who let you down :thumbdown:

food for thought lol :thumbup:

cheers

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see your point but surely both subby and contractor will lose money . Sometimes these things happen through no fault of the contractor . If regular cancellations are made then just refuse to work for the guy . On the flip side If you a subby didn't turn in would you be happy with the contractor billing you ?

Ive had jobs that we had booked in for weeks only to turn up on the morning of the job to find the tree work done ? Customers eh :001_smile:

Chris, If I let you down, through no fault of my own, I'd find you something to do for the day and still pay you the same. Even if it means just splitting logs. However, I don't think everyone else would do this.

Also, some people will say; if the contract climber lets the contractor down, then should the contract climber pay the contractor something. For example, if a contractor has traffic lights booked and all the paperwork is done for working by a bust A-road. Then early that morning the climber says he can't make it. Then, the contractor is in trouble

A difficult one. Has this already happened, or are you thinking it may happen in the future:

Chris, If I let you down, through no fault of my own, I'd find you something to do for the day and still pay you the same. Even if it means just splitting logs. However, I don't think everyone else would do this.

Also, some people will say; if the contract climber lets the contractor down, then should the contract climber pay the contractor something. For example, if a contractor has traffic lights booked and all the paperwork is done for working by a bust A-road. Then early that morning the climber says he can't make it. Then, the contractor is in trouble

A difficult one. Has this already happened, or are you thinking it may happen in the future:

happened one day this week at 7:15 am, just makes me think of others who have done this before and i've given up working for them...

also think it may happen a bit more soon due to time of year...

may hibernate in december lol

Being a contract climber myself i see there no reason to fall out with whomever it is your working for unless of cause it tends to become a habit, I've been in both situations before, had firms cancel the night before even the morning before I go in, I've even turned up at a firms one morning only for them to realise they have forgotten to write it in there diarys, and on the other hand I've had to cancel unexpectedly on firms also, at the end of the day things happen that can't be help and could of been avoided but that's life, we are after all only human.....:thumbup1:

Just carry on as normal and if it happens again then ask them that a little more notice would be helpful, and then if it happens again then you need to think about not doing work for them....

Work is hard to find, and things like this are a pain in the butt, but there's no reason to create even more gaps in your diary by charging them....

Adam

If the booking is made say two weeks ahead, I would phone two days before to confirm it's still on and tell the employer you will do this at time of booking. Also if someone else wants you for that day then call the original person and check you are definately required.

This can avoid some potential scenarios for lost work.

Otherwise if you lose a day due to some unforseen circumstance on the employers part....take it on the chin. It's swings and roundabouts innit.