Bad News Ash Disease discovered in East Anglia

arbwork

in a country obsessed with saving pennys importing cheap s**t, and people who only care for there own personal gain. this is hardly a supprise, and i can belive that who ever it was selling off cheap batches of ash slept soundly in bed that night safe in the knowledge that they made a few bob. i plant alot of trees and plant makes up 60 percent of my turnover, the land agent i work for has told me that w will not be planting any ash this season, and the thort that i might actually have planted infected trees from a nursery that have might import ash trees is tragic. this country is barmy when will we learn from oz u cant get a bag of crisp through border controll there!

in a country obsessed with saving pennys importing cheap s**t, and people who only care for there own personal gain. this is hardly a supprise, and i can belive that who ever it was selling off cheap batches of ash slept soundly in bed that night safe in the knowledge that they made a few bob. i plant alot of trees and plant makes up 60 percent of my turnover, the land agent i work for has told me that w will not be planting any ash this season, and the thort that i might actually have planted infected trees from a nursery that have might import ash trees is tragic. this country is barmy when will we learn from oz u cant get a bag of crisp through border controll there!

Well said .

I hear what people are saying about this being introduced on imported stock, but in reality as it was in central Europe was it not bound to get here some time??

Its not like a foreign plant or animal that lived else where for years causing no harm, its a new development or mutation. In the modern global village it was only a matter of time. It could have come on the mud flap of a car, the tread of a boot or even a bird could have carried spores across.

Its here now, theres very little if anything we can do, in fact our actions may in actual fact make it worse, if we start felling to prevent spread we may fell resistant trees from which we could have got seed to restock with.

Had first call to night from a customer to say I think my ash tree has that disease every one is on about. Ask them what the tree looked like,

They said; it has brown clumps of things hanging on it,

I said; are they leaves,

They said; well may be but there's alot of leaves on the ground,

Had a think and said; may be there clumps of seeds hanging up there,

The phone went quiet then they said can you come and look,

So will look tomorrow.

First of many calls I think. The problem rouge cowboys or door knockers out there may say yes it is and fell good tree just to get some fire wood / money and then just vanish.

I hear what people are saying about this being introduced on imported stock, but in reality as it was in central Europe was it not bound to get here some time??

Its not like a foreign plant or animal that lived else where for years causing no harm, its a new development or mutation. In the modern global village it was only a matter of time. It could have come on the mud flap of a car, the tread of a boot or even a bird could have carried spores across.

Its here now, theres very little if anything we can do, in fact our actions may in actual fact make it worse, if we start felling to prevent spread we may fell resistant trees from which we could have got seed to restock with.

I was thinking the same about " blanket felling " as there are trees that are resistant although apparently no one knows why yet . The seed definitely need harvesting from those trees I would have thought . Not seen it here in Sussex myself yet . I understand it to be air born ? If we get enough leaf off before it arrives will that spare any tree that has no wounds as it wont penetrate via the leaf ? As you can tell I am no expert just my thoughts .