mog v tractor

matt cts

I drove a mog with a loader on the front once,.... only once and never again, tractor all the way for that job

Can't be any worse than driving with a big chipper on the front?

But have to agree go for a decent tractor

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

unless the mog is fitted with the factory lockout plates on the front suspension that mogs going to go through a lot of springs and shocks!!!, not a good idea to fit a loader on something with front suspension, the american military had there mogs with the front loader/back hoe combination fitted with special shocks that could be "locked" to prevent ducking & diving when in use. if you want something to act as a front loader, get a tractor, accept the fact your going everywhere at 20mph, if you want something to tow big loads and hump and dump stuff, get a mog, but not one at 10k, you could end up very out of pocket, and unless you are a very competent mechanic, the running costs can get pricey

Can't be any worse than driving with a big chipper on the front?

Oh it can

Driving with a chipper on the front is a bit bouncy, loading involves locking most of the movement out of the suspension so unless you move slower than treacle in winter you get a bounce then a thump when you lift or tip the bucket.

Compared with a regular loader its the dark ages. You spend all day wishing you had something better.

A mog is a good tool and while the loader I used worked, it didnt work well.

Thanks for all the replies, seems like a mog has a very limited use in tree work, it is always surprising how popular they are in europe??

Tractor with loader it is!!! Dont think i will get a roof mount on a decent tractor for that money, and they seem top heavy for thinning work??

Thanks for all the replies, seems like a mog has a very limited use in tree work, it is always surprising how popular they are in europe??

Tractor with loader it is!!! Dont think i will get a roof mount on a decent tractor for that money, and they seem top heavy for thinning work??

Not at all they are very versatile and ideal for tree work,a front loader would not be my first choice for tree work, a crane is far more useful IMO.

But you not going to get a decent Mog for the kind of money your talking and their road speed is one of the main reasons people want mogs

If you need to transport three men, chipper and trailer, get a Mog no question. If you spend £10k on a Mog you're committing financial suicide.

On the other hand, would a tractor with big trailer and chipper on the front of the trailer work for you? I've seen them occasionally and the other guys can travel in pickup or Transit.

From experience it's whatever suits your specific needs.

I am looking for some advise on running costs/pros and cons of running a unimog v a tractor

looking at about 10k unimog with front loader (u1200) or 4x4 tractor with front loader.

we will be running a 6t winch thinning, tree surgery work, loading m3 bags of logs, chip and remove sites etc

Not fussed for the slow speeds of a tractor and trailer, but are mogs really that expensive to run compared with a tractor There is a u1200 on ebay which looks ok

Any advice would be helpful!!!!

HI MATT for £10/15k you will get a good old tractor cheap to keep going thats just the job theres a nice mog nr me for £25k what about a small mog like a 406 theres one on farmer trader for £4k with a winch looks good to jon :thumbup: