the 'todays job' thread

WoodED

3 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I know you did old growth in Alaska or somewhere like that.

I have noticed on the vids and general nonsense on the net, that certain saws like husky 288/290 and the Stihl 066/661 seem to hit a real sweet spot in terms of being able to carry them all day to multiple trees, but still have enough power to run a big bar through softwood.

How many were you doing in a day? Using an 88 all day in difficult terrain, bit of a workout?

He was young, dumb and literally full of cum Mick, he was a teenager in an Alaskan logging camp!

I’ve had an 880 hanging off me a few times with a 4’ bar.

Never fun.

The bar flexes when horizontal so the cuts aren’t straight.

Used to make the cuts with a 440, then go to the big saw into the cuts, but this is time consuming and energy sapping.

Like everything about an 88.

I’ve been doing arb in the UK for 22 years and have got by without one.

Joe and Alex have summed it up pretty well.

I have a normal size penis as well, which may be a factor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Oh, I’ve got mine, an 088 bought end of the last century.

Mostly used for photo ops or to impress clients.

This cedar was the only job I can think of in a very long time where it was really justified.

Still, I’m sure my nephew will appreciate it in a few years.

IMG_0809.jpeg

IMG_0806.jpeg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I know you did old growth in Alaska or somewhere like that.

I have noticed on the vids and general nonsense on the net, that certain saws like husky 288/290 and the Stihl 066/661 seem to hit a real sweet spot in terms of being able to carry them all day to multiple trees, but still have enough power to run a big bar through softwood.

How many were you doing in a day? Using an 88 all day in difficult terrain, bit of a workout?

I was a hooktender/ bucker in a old growth yarder crew in New Zealand in my late teens early 20s. The fallers would tip maybe 30 big ones in a day. 80 if they were down to just 3 tonn stem size.

The skiddies who cut the logs to length once they were up the hill used the most fuel,them along with the " Poleman" who unhooked the logs at the top and limbed between turns. It would have been normal to use close to 200 liters a day in saw fuel all up,a tank lasting about 20 minutes.6 to 8 guys on the skid,QC,log maker,poleman,two fallers and a bucker all running saws.

In Canada the first time I worked in a crew selective logging old growth. There we felled with a 088 and limbed with smaller saws. The production rate was tiny compared to clear Felling,we might fell five trees in a day other days just one. 

Carrying big saws can be a pain as you can't easily use it to clear a path as you go. However in old growth there is generally little understory.In clear fell you walk along the fallen trees so it's not too bad generally 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Mike Hill said:

I was a hooktender/ bucker in a old growth yarder crew in New Zealand in my late teens early 20s. The fallers would tip maybe 30 big ones in a day. 80 if they were down to just 3 tonn stem size.

The skiddies who cut the logs to length once they were up the hill used the most fuel,them along with the " Poleman" who unhooked the logs at the top and limbed between turns. It would have been normal to use close to 200 liters a day in saw fuel all up,a tank lasting about 20 minutes.6 to 8 guys on the skid,QC,log maker,poleman,two fallers and a bucker all running saws.

In Canada the first time I worked in a crew selective logging old growth. There we felled with a 088 and limbed with smaller saws. The production rate was tiny compared to clear Felling,we might fell five trees in a day other days just one. 

Carrying big saws can be a pain as you can't easily use it to clear a path as you go. However in old growth there is generally little understory.In clear fell you walk along the fallen trees so it's not too bad generally 

How far would you say you were walking a day? Keep an eye on your fitbit this morning and approximate. 

3 hours ago, AHPP said:

How far would you say you were walking a day? Keep an eye on your fitbit this morning and approximate. 

I don't know what a fitbit is?

This was the late 90s,the Logging and forestry industry traing board put heart rate monitors on hooktenders and they worked the equivalent of playing two rugby games per day. We would drink maybe 8 or 9 liters of water a day in the summer and ate heaps of food. I weighed 70kg.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bigtreedon said:

Love the dog mate I had to English bulls terriers first saw 1 in Oliver twist when I was a kid and always wanted 1😍

The wife and I have had Bullies for the last 30 years. We swear we are never getting another one, but here we are? 

Spent the day doing something different with wood for a change.
Helping a young French carpenter erect cruck frames on his Ben Law inspired house, complete with Ben Law ‘Butterpat’ round wood joints.

Suprising what an Eder 1800, three Tirfors, a few ropes and a couple of lowering devices can achieve. 
The perlins are In the workshop ready to be added when the frame is completed this week.

IMG_4533.jpeg

IMG_4528.jpeg

IMG_4526.jpeg

IMG_4523.jpeg

IMG_4532.jpeg

IMG_4529.jpeg

IMG_4531.jpeg

IMG_4437.jpeg

IMG_4436.jpeg

IMG_4435.jpeg

• Like 15

51 minutes ago, 5thelement said:

IMG_4531.jpeg

I was freelance climbing some (recently discussed on here as it happens) poplars a few years ago. They were big, spready and mostly weighted over a pretty major trainline. I'd set up my Hobbs on a cherry tree in the garden with a pulley a foot above it and was using that as a winch to pull tops into the garden. I'd shown five of them how to use it.

"In the top peg, wrap the drum, out the bottom peg."

I was ready to cut and telling them to crank. Four of them monstering the bar round, very little effect on the line tension. Eventually there was just enough so I made the cut. Came down. Inspected device. Top peg bent into the drum. My mind boggled. Tried to ascertain who'd wrapped it, how they'd wrapped it etc. They were suddenly all very interested in other things about the site. Eventually worked out that they'd put three turns on the top peg and then wrapped the drum. Shook my head, applied a spanner to it and finished the job watching them like a hawk. 

• Like 1