Would THIS offend you?

18 stoner

By your comment, I take it you are insinuating financial gain was the priority, however, if the tree reacts accordingly it will be many years before any further works are needed surely?

Having read through the thread:

The fact that you think is is acceptable practice to climb a tree to be retained with spikes and that you fail to see that the method of management chosen is likely to result in creation of a future hazard(s); is what worries me.

If the client had specifically requested this work then it is up to you to educate them. On the other hand, if you recommended this work to your client then I would suggest you have not considered the tree species you are dealing with and the tree's situation. I trust your Professional Indemnity Insurance will be kept up to date for the foreseeable future.

I don't want this to come across as a personal attack (at first I had not appreciated that it was you that had carried out the work) but you did ask the question.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having read through the thread:

The fact that you think is is acceptable practice to climb a tree to be retained with spikes and that you fail to see that the method of management chosen is likely to result in creation of a future hazard(s); is what worries me.

I wear spikes all the time when pollarding, ensuring that I do not spike on any portion of the tree being retained. I would have to assume this is exactly what Pete did also. :001_smile:

I wear spikes all the time when pollarding, ensuring that I do not spike on any portion of the tree being retained. I would have to assume this is exactly what Pete did also. :001_smile:

Yes OK and if I am honest...I do too! But the avoidance of contact with the retained stem was not made clear in previous posts.

It still does not excuse the choice of management (IMO).

Yes OK and if I am honest...I do too! But the avoidance of contact with the retained stem was not made clear in previous posts.

It still does not excuse the choice of management (IMO).

If you are whacking off great limbs,what difference does a few dozen Spike marks make in the Stem?

I think the original poster showed the difference between "real" Treework and the perception of Treework that seems to abound on this forum.We provide a service and that service caters to the clients demands,we should offer advice and alternatives however we also have financial commitments and family's to feed.

I applaud the poster with his illustration of the real face of Arboriculture,not to mention the quality of the clean up.

If you are whacking off great limbs,what difference does a few dozen Spike marks make in the Stem?

I think the original poster showed the difference between "real" Treework and the perception of Treework that seems to abound on this forum.We provide a service and that service caters to the clients demands,we should offer advice and alternatives however we also have financial commitments and family's to feed.

I applaud the poster with his illustration of the real face of Arboriculture,not to mention the quality of the clean up.

err.. I would say its bad practice and unprofessional let alone it looks awful when you see spiked stems when there was no need for it

I wouldn't want to cause any extra damage however small it was

thought that's what being an arborist is all about

Thanks for pointing out what "real tree work" is tho I'll sleep better :001_smile:

Guys from my experience spiking a tree can lead to it producing epicormic which in veteran tree work is specified todo so now and again the same with scribbing, obviously it's not great in the long run but its also perfect for habitat! This tree will be a character that will live another day rather than felled!

Guys from my experience spiking a tree can lead to it producing epicormic which in veteran tree work is specified todo so now and again the same with scribbing, obviously it's not great in the long run but its also perfect for habitat! This tree will be a character that will live another day rather than felled!

Was it a veteran tree ? In what way does copious epicormic benefit wildlife ?

When the large cavities start to appear , because of its location it'll have to be felled surely ?

No dig at all at the op needs must an'all that :001_smile:

Was it a veteran tree ? In what way does copious epicormic benefit wildlife ?

When the large cavities start to appear , because of its location it'll have to be felled surely ?

No dig at all at the op needs must an'all that :001_smile:

I'd say it was a candidate for a veteran.epicormic is beneficial for the tree obviously,but spiking is good for habitat!

Knowing several "mature" climbers, I would not even query their wearing of spikes on a retained tree such as a repollard. I trust their professionalism not to "dig in" until they're above retained wood. This is the same argument as one handing a topping saw, a professional and competent person will know when it is safe or not to do so.

In the real world we have to give clients what they want, today I reduced two trees, one was an Oak that had no foliage below the hight the client wanted, so it was basically a pollard. The other was a red maple with lots of lower growth, so I was able to reduce it much more sensitively, getting the desired hight, but retaining a nice shape and plenty of leaf cover, I was pretty pleased with it.

The client was not happy and wanted it more like the Oak, so I went back up and butchered it back until they were happy.

I now have happy customer and a cheque to pay into the bank, which is pretty much all we can hope for :)