Boots

Luke Quenby

I am not sure if a protective toe cap is required.

If it is not I would swear by lowa high leg GTX combat boots.

Supremely comfortable straight from the box, very good ankle support and totally Gortex waterproof.

However on my 4th pair in 3 years.

But should have 9 months ahead of me.

First pair were worn out in 6 months (the soles)

I then invested in 3 more pairs bought at intervals and worn alternately

Bad news about £160.00 per pair.

Must be near as expensive as when the wife went through her good Italian shoe phase.

But with my chronically weak ankles well worth it.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meindl make some great walking boots. And that's partly why the airstreams are so good. I've had 2 years out of mine and this is what the sole is like, they are only just seeping water in now and that's only when they're wet all day. I have stuck it Back on with some super glue and they are great again. I just have almost no grip left!

[ATTACH]102066[/ATTACH]

meindl all the way been using them for years now havent tried the airstreams yet but its like putting a pair of slippers on when u step in to new meindl boots .p.s wouldnt bother with the pfanner bought one of the lads some and he didnt stop winging how cold his feet were

I have had the haix Tibet forest boots for just over a year and they are great never had wet feet even when clearing scrub across a stream so standing in ankle deep water most of the day, they are comfortable out of the box, the higher top gives much better ankle support and shin protection than standard length boots and they seem to have the best tread depth of any boot I've seen so you don't slip about so much when it's muddy

In the same boat as you, not using them full time so I wanted something comfortable straight out of the box.

Went for Lavoro Sherwoods. Really comfy and seem to be lasting well enough but probably not given them enough use to be sure about that bit

After wearing Oregon (not waterproof), I'm on my 2nd pair of lavero, yes very comfy, they did well for a while working in extreme wet, but started leaking eventually, also soles looked like someone had used a planing machine on them and they lost a lace thing after less than 6 months. Got a 'replacement' pair free from lavero, and these have got soles that split away from base, after about 10 months (although not frayed like last pair!l). I do look after boots and use dubbin.

My husband has tried all the makes mentioned and none are waterproof, no matter how expensive they are. Chainsaw Wellies get lost/sucked into spagnum bog and are even more useless, you get blisters etc when they fill up with water, so worse than boots.

If it is not I would swear by lowa high leg GTX combat boots.

Supremely comfortable straight from the box, very good ankle support and totally Gortex waterproof.

However on my 4th pair in 3 years.

But should have 9 months ahead of me.

First pair were worn out in 6 months (the soles)

I then invested in 3 more pairs bought at intervals and worn alternately

Bad news about £160.00 per pair.

I was thinking about a pair of them or similar Altberg make for non chainsaw work. Is it just the sole that wears or does the boot fall apart? Can't you just resole them?

• 2 months later...
My Oregon fiordland boots have just been delivered today :thumbup: first impressions are extremely comfy straight away, like walking boots, soft and supple, look real nice in the flesh too.

i normally get 10 months out of a pair of haix, so i'll be happy if these last the same-simillar cost.

they're supposed to be waterproof too, not water resistant like alot of boots are which swayed my decision

any long term test results on these Oregon Fiordland boots? Ta

I've a feeling there's loads of posts on boots somewhere here.

Had Meindl Waldlaufers for ages and they're great, if a bit heavy. Good leather and no fancy extras. Do the job.

You need to invest in some proper waterproof wax to treat the leather, even with a waterproof lining, for that "feet in mush all day" protection you need.

Try NZ Waterwax from Cactus Clothing - Meindl tell me it's OK. 'Bout £6 a tub.

I've had Altberg Veldhog for years and they're brilliant boots - again, wax them well (e.g. heated wax rubbed in and warmed with wife's hair-dryer until you can't make any more layers soak in). Brilliant comfy fit off the peg for regular sizes, and can get tailor-made if you come into money.

Cheap boots are cheap, right?

Murry there is no way a boot would last 6 years if they were used 5/6 days a week

my old klima/tirroll fighters lasted 4 years and i changed them only because i fancied a different sort, not because they were worn out. just get them resoled every year and they last ages..