Dangerous log splitters

AardvarkTreeServices

All these safety devices are indeed a PITA. Remove them by all means, but make a record in your Health and Safety file that you have done so, and why.

Then make a note absolving the manufacturer and supplier of any liability for injury you may do yourself.

Then tell your insurers, they are sure to understand.

And inform your staff that they must use your unsafe equipment and that you will personally cover any shortfall in compensation for injury they may receive whilst using it.

Seriously guys, come on and wake up to the real world.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ERm,

At work I observe that all equipment is used according to manufacturers intentions and not "modified" or misued , well I try to anyway.

However at home working to and on behalf of myself I take a somewhat Lassifair attitude.

Still got all digits eyes and ears. Despite doing some potentially "fool" things. Which would likely cause injury to the more cognatively challenged.:001_tt2:

Knackered back though, but hey who hasnt at the age of 50 +

I probably hurt it building 4-5 stone (thats 25kg to 31.25kg to young uns) hay bales at 10,11,12,13,14,15 years of age.

Oh here we go. Fact log splitters are dangerous. Chainsaws are dangerous, processors are dangerous, tractors are dangerous, cars are dangerous. That's why there's training and rick assessments. Oh and that very rare thing called common sense.........

It's a joke. Oh I forgot you don't get those....

That just about sums up the situation for me too. When using tools like these you need to be well awake, paying it your full attention and if you have a helper they need to know the rules. I accept that accidents can happen but generally they are not accidents, they are moments of stupidity by the operator.

Common sense says that you don't put your hand on top of a log in a splitter, the same as you don't cross the road without looking.

All these safety devices are indeed a PITA. Remove them by all means, but make a record in your Health and Safety file that you have done so, and why.

Then make a note absolving the manufacturer and supplier of any liability for injury you may do yourself.

Then tell your insurers, they are sure to understand.

And inform your staff that they must use your unsafe equipment and that you will personally cover any shortfall in compensation for injury they may receive whilst using it.

Seriously guys, come on and wake up to the real world.

:congrats::congrats:

Mine has one handed operation until the knife hits the log, then it needs two hands to get any splitting force, its called "the leader system".

Next time your at the APF just look around at all the guys with digits missing, I'd sooner keep mine thanks:001_smile:

it all comes back to one simple thing, common sense, there is no such thing as dangerous tools, only stupid users. If you stand the splitter on the ground, and dont touch it, will it trap and cut your fingers off...NO, so it must be the user doing something wrong, not the machine

it all comes back to one simple thing, common sense, there is no such thing as dangerous tools, only stupid users. If you stand the splitter on the ground, and dont touch it, will it trap and cut your fingers off...NO, so it must be the user doing something wrong, not the machine

:dito::congrats::bootyshake:

Thats a ridiculous statement :001_rolleyes:

If you can't have your hand on the log as the knife comes down, you can't cut off any fingers.

Following your argument, why bother with any PPE, or chain brakes on saws.

We all have off days, get distracted or make mistakes from time to time, I'd sooner my or my staffs momentary errors don't lead to disability.

Cars aren't dangerous, but they kill 3000 people a year in this country.

Thats a ridiculous statement :001_rolleyes:

If you can't have your hand on the log as the knife comes down, you can't cut off any fingers.

Following your argument, why bother with any PPE, or chain brakes on saws.

We all have off days, get distracted or make mistakes from time to time, I'd sooner my or my staffs momentary errors don't lead to disability.

Cars aren't dangerous, but they kill 3000 people a year in this country.

correct dave its the operator or the driver that fks up not the machine or car !!!!!!

correct dave its the operator or the driver that fks up not the machine or car !!!!!!

Indeed, which is why any safety feature (within reason) is a good idea, as it reduces the chances of the operators error leading to them being maimed.

You disable a safety a feature to save 5 minuets and then spend 5 weeks getting over the injury :001_rolleyes:

Indeed, which is why any safety feature (within reason) is a good idea, as it reduces the chances of the operators error leading to them being maimed.

You disable a safety a feature to save 5 minuets and then spend 5 weeks getting over the injury :001_rolleyes:

i had a single leaver splitter for yrs no body ever got anything but wood stuck in it ,no fingers no feet ,nothing just wood :thumbup1: