Sick of Stihl

Wolfie

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont worry Rick, loads swear by them, you maybe one of the lucky ones.

I dont know if its me or not but the older saws seem much better than the new ones for reliability. New saws vibrate less but I dont know what's worse..... dying from a hear attack from frustration or havning VWF, you cant win.

Some blame the crap petrol for saw trouble, we didnt seem to get that years ago. But there again it does not effect every user?? Aspen is the way to go for trouble free fuel, the extra you pay saves on wasted fuel you have to tip out. swings & roundabouts, not all agree but thats life

Love stihl even more, since ive just recieved a pair of x-fit trousers© from the uk stihl company manager at clothing design an research. Thankyou and a pleasure working with ur team in some redesigns and other ideas.

Husky beat that ; p

Not that this thread is about husq vs stihl, more about how stihl have lost the plot in general of recent years, I think you have identified the problem!

Perhaps, Husqvarna have not gone out full hell for leather to become the market leaders in highstreet fasion like Stihl seemingly have. While Stihl have been taking advice from the likes of Gok on how good they should look, they have taken their eye off the real world, SAWS!

Whilst bowing down to the stupid restrictions needing to be met by the worldwide emissions requirements, Stihl have given their engines the quick fix at the expense of the end user, and as result I'm sure the once immense reputation of being a world leader will suffer.

This opinion comes from a very dissapointed life long Stihl fan, currently in the transitional stage over to the big orange one!:blushing:

Could this be the same trend as in every other market where the manufacturers need to improve their margins to feed the beast that is the modern consumer world.

They have tried all the other tricks so now they make everything with a 'designed' life span to make money out of spare parts. Mix in cost cutting and lack of quality control in China where everthing is made and nothing lasts its designed life span.

In the old days you still had companies run by old hands who knew their industry and took a bit of pride in what they produced and consequently built up a good reputation.

These days companies are run by faceless accountants shipped in from other industries and everything is built to a price which these days seems to include a lot of additional costs (including endless bonuses) which then mean the actual cost of producing the item is reduced.

et voila

Cynical I know :001_tt2:

Could this be the same trend as in every other market where the manufacturers need to improve their margins to feed the beast that is the modern consumer world.

They have tried all the other tricks so now they make everything with a 'designed' life span to make money out of spare parts. Mix in cost cutting and lack of quality control in China where everthing is made and nothing lasts its designed life span.

In the old days you still had companies run by old hands who knew their industry and took a bit of pride in what they produced and consequently built up a good reputation.

These days companies are run by faceless accountants shipped in from other industries and everything is built to a price which these days seems to include a lot of additional costs (including endless bonuses) which then mean the actual cost of producing the item is reduced.

et voila

Cynical I know :001_tt2:

Got to say I do agree. But it's not just stihl. I'm afraid husky are the same. There last attempt at a top handle was a disaster. And it's the same with any new product a long lasting company have made. It's the old saying. They don't make them like they used to.... How very true this statement is now.

I bought a husky 550xp as I had become fed up with stihl quality. I thought it was an amazing saw and was totally converted to husky just from a couple of hours using the 550.

Then the little niggles started... The chain tensioner is a PITA, the plastic handle grip slides down the handle, and with less than 10hrs use... It SCORED THE PISTON!

Took it to the dealer I purchased it from and it took a month to get sorted. Initially they claimed it must have been my oil mix in the fuel but theres nothing wrong with my other saws (and a 201t bought at the sane time as the 550). Husky replaced the piston and cylinder and fitted a new heavy duty air filter due to dust residue found in the carb inlet. Their report also suggested the chain sharpness could have contributed! FFS... Granted the chain wasn't brand new, but it was still very sharp and cut like butter!

The saw is back and running like new, but I just don't trust it!

Going to the "dark-side" was definitely a dark experience!

This is nothing new. In 1970s British Leyland cars it was known as inbuilt obsolescence.

But I agree that the malaise does now seem ubiquitous; goods are made to a price, not a standard The more I experience the world as a consumer the more I feel I'm being taken for a lifelong ride, ripped off left, right and centre.

Bah humbug!:001_tongue:

Just to revive this thread, Stihl have completely failed us with their 130 4mix.

A couple of years ago I had a 130 go back to the dealer (who did everything they could) several times, but the same poor running and difficulty to start kept coming back. Stihl had it back 'fixed' it, only for the fault to return, it cost us loads in lost time. In the end the dealer replaced it, the new one developed the same fault, but we just put up with it, leaking fuel and being a PIG to start. Now just over two years on its died (terminal) and Stihl dont want to know.

How do people find the husky long reach trimmers? I dont think I can go back to stihl trimmers after all this!

Anyone want a 130 for spares/repairs? lol