What others think

Stephen Blair

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, wise words. But it's easier said than done! I've worried myself sick at times, lay awake at night worrying whether I can do the job properly, whether the people who have taught me really believe in my skills and abilities, whether customers are as happy as they seem, whether I have the respect of other arbs I know or do they just feel a bit sorry for me, whether I'll make it to the end of the year financially. Luckily the chap I'm marrying seems to think the sun shines out of my backside and has more than enough faith in me for both of us. Balance - needed in everything :)

"But these individuals will consume your thinking even when you are lying in bed, their little jibes and comments will eat at you, and on comes the stress"

Exactly what happened this morning!! We shoot clays every other Sunday on a farmers field and at the end the farmer, who is in his 70s, comes out for a chat. I've known the guy for about 8 years and get on with him but every time he comes out now he says,"How much is a load of logs then?" followed by "How much!!!! Daylight robbery, there'll not be much in that pick up, a cubic metre by that's nothing, £75 for that, how do you get away with that!!??!!" Now I know he probably does this just to wind me up but he got right under my skin this morning, ruined my mornings enjoyment and has been plaguing my mind ever since!

Next time I will have to ask him how much he charges for his beasts considering all he's done is stick them in a field and sit on his backside for a year!!

After the little derail on the private plate thread, I thought I would start this 1 to save derailing it right off the tracks:001_rolleyes:

Live your life the way you want to, not the way you THINK others might want you too.

You will not get every job or get on with every person you meet, dress sense, vehicle, accent, haircut, weight, colour will have an influence, like it or not, that's human behaviour and these types of individuals should be avoided, they will only drag you down.:thumbdown:

And if you are concerned about word of mouth on jobs, then negative folk have negative friends and run in negative circles, you will be the contractor for the doom and gloom brigade, and unless you are naturally of the same way of thinking, then you will be drained of a lot of energy.

The secret I have found is having filters in place to categorise your customers, it saves the draining feeling in your gut when you pull up outside the house from hell or customer of doom and wishing you had stayed in bed.

Or if you do go to do business with a critical, know it all , haggling control freak who has no concern about his trees or your professionalism, make sure you are in the right frame of mind to do so.

But these individuals will consume your thinking even when you are lying in bed, their little jibes and comments will eat at you, and on comes the stress:thumbdown:

This may seem a bit extreme to some, if it does then I envy you, but I have found that most Arbs are good guys, who appreciate the great outdoors and nature, most are happy to climb trees and own a 4x4 and have some shiny toys :thumbup1:

If an arrangement of 6 or 7 letters in a certain order on the front and back bumper of a vehicle make you smile and proud, or a shiny spinning alloy over priced krab this doesn't mean you have man hood problems and size envy, it just means the bit in your brain that thinks, that's cool, thinks its cool:001_smile:

Just my little Sunday morning 2 pence:biggrin:

This ticks the box for me right now I have made some decisions to distance myself from the negative people in my life and move on

Next time I will have to ask him how much he charges for his beasts considering all he's done is stick them in a field and sit on his backside for a year!!

don't react, the best thing to do with "Critical dad type comments " is just ignore them, point blank ignore it, say nothing, not a word! If there is no reaction, they can not take your energy, so they will just carry on talking about something else.

Mi avoided a customers calls for 2 years, this guy wound me right up, I could hear his voice in my head, I can hear it now:laugh1:

After a hypno session and great advice, I called him up, asked for a meeting, instantly it had to be on his terms, time date etc, I said no, now no question, ok he said,

After 5 mins into the discussion, we had sorted out our problem, he had had a couple of goes at me, I said not a word, then he asked about another job, and I leave with a £3750 job I was going to do MY way.

Silence is your friend, especially in negotiations :biggrin:

This cam also be used in your favour, ifyounare feeling a little low of energy, pop in and see someone you know who is doom and gloom all the time and tell him about all the amazing things in your life, watch him squirm and try and cut you off at every high point, but just laugh and joke and thank him for making you feel better, trust me it's awesome,i have my very own energising buddy nemesis, he always tries to hold court in his little take away shop, I go in full of the joys of spring on the wettest of days and just annoy the life out of his gloomy little face, I even buy some food I have no intention of eating just to cheer myself up, I even feel better just typing about him :lol:

Become an Energy Vampire :thumbup: