Ideas for uses for chain oil containers 25l.

Andy Collins

But did you price it up with money back on the drums for scrap.

Nope, but the deposit on the drum made it even more expensive.

Admitedly we've not priced it up again for a year or so. One thing our dealer really does seem to be good at though is keeping the 20L drums fairly sensible price wise.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im sure like many others, we all accumulate a large number of these containers, but what to do with them all. I'm starting to get a bit of a collection. I use the odd one here and there to drip-water around trees, (having flushed them right out til clean) I have filled them with water as ballast for tarps, but still I get more and more. I hate the idea of sending them to landfill, but what to do?

I have a Biffa bin specifically for recycling plastics, paper and cardboard, which is emptied weekly.

Many of my customers now bring back their empties and pop them in the Biffa bin. (This works particularly well with Aspen customers).

Maybe one of your suppliers can offer a similar service?

Recycling is a top idea, but refused because of even a trace of oil. They insist on cat litter or sand filling the container, blow that, it's going to be stupidly heavy to move let alone throw in the big wheelie bins :lol: sometimes this isn't really very well thought out, this recycling lark.

Recycling is a top idea, but refused because of even a trace of oil. They insist on cat litter or sand filling the container, blow that, it's going to be stupidly heavy to move let alone throw in the big wheelie bins :lol: sometimes this isn't really very well thought out, this recycling lark.

Isn't there a plastics skip at your local dump you can chuck a few in every few weeks? Those places are so busy these days no-one's going to notice even if they're bothered about traces of oil.

Nope, but the deposit on the drum made it even more expensive.

Admitedly we've not priced it up again for a year or so. One thing our dealer really does seem to be good at though is keeping the 20L drums fairly sensible price wise.

Just looked at getting a 205l drum (330quid+vat +50quid delivery). So there is no real saving over getting the 25 liter drums.

As for what to do with chain oil containers. I have a few that i keep for having a supply of water for putting a fire out in the woods if i have a brash burn up. Other than that i've used them as a plant pot with some wood around the outside. I've given them away when people ask for them and i've got rid of a few down the tip. Although its easier to shift the 10 liter ones the tip.