The Land Rover Appreciation Group.

John Hancock

((i) In 1982 as a student I went to some sort of motor show in the Kings Hall Belfast, where I drooled over the recently (1979) released "G" Wagen, I was especially impressed by the underside/suspension/engineering.

(ii) In 1982 I also happened to join the Officer Training Corps (((33% female (nurses and students) plus cheap booze and the opportunity to travel (to Barrybuddon like)))

Where I first enjoyed the Land Rover Experience, I was truely impressed by their capabilities (and ease of repair to a farmers Son)

(iii)Fast Forward to about 2004/2005 when I went shopping for a beat up Land Rover, for me to fix up and the children to larn to drive in (off road obviuosly)

I spoke to Frank,our local Land Rover Guru ( Jamison Landrover Services?)) in the village vis-a-vis the costs.

£3000.00 for a scrapper, £5,000.00 for a rough but reasonable driver.

I then found that "G" Wagens were CHEAPER, Didnt rust out, plus most bits easily and cheaply available across the local Motor Factors counter ( Merc Vans)

PLUS, They sure as hell drove better across country ( and so acknowledged by a local farmer/contractors Son)

The 460 diesels were it must be (Cough!) admitted a trifle lethargic on the road.

(iv)I then bought the Van direct from Automotive Technic.

I missed the car type which was disposed of by them a few years previously ( I surmise), currently back on the market after a re-spray at I kid you not

£35,000.00

I Paid £8,500.00 for the Van

Currently worth about £25,000.00:thumbup:

Tee Hee:001_tt2:

Edited by difflock

Yup, don't rate them much myself. If you tow a vehicle with one of those fitted backwards any distance throught deep mud you run a very big risk of destroying the rad and intercooler as the steering guard shovels the mud up between the grill panel and cooling group. I have seen the whole of the engine bay filled almost solid with mud in this way, not good!

Yup, thought about that and got pulled out forwards:thumbup1:

On another note, the lock barrel had frozen this morning so the central locking wouldn't let me in, nor would the key turn the lock! Eventually broke in through the back door, started the engine, went to scrape the windscreen and was locked out again! Didn't think that would happen with the key in the ignition:confused1:

Dooh!

Thats a beaut Difflock, would really want one of them if I win the lottery. They just look such a strong, usuable work truck. Tom Sheppard has exactly the same, uses it for overland travel having dropped Land Rover after many years.

Oh, just seen all the other pics;I see why they call you Difflock now! 3 G Wagens is being a bit greedy isn't it? I've been a fan of the G Wagen since the early 1980s but always had Land Rovers up until June 2011 when I bought a Ford Ranger.

Edited by rovers90
Added extra comments

It is my understanding that our Van is the identical spec to Tom Sheppards, other than the LHD?RHD issue.

I also understand that of the 30 or so sold in the UK, most of the rest were heavy duty types, and that ours is one of only one or two to the standard spec.

Sussex Fire Bridage bought a batch for rapid response vehicles.

I would say one reason they are now so valued was the installation of the 120 HP turbo intercooler Merc engine as per the Sprinter van usuage.

An absolutly perfect match with virtually no electronics to go wrong, and the electronic controlled Bosch high pressure rotary pump is now old hat and widely understood/fixed.

My biggest problem is that she is happiest cruisng at 60 to 65, and will easily cope with extended Motorway work at Motorway speeds.......but I generally want to go slower:lol:

So as to look over the hedges, without crashing.

Cheers

Marcus

Interesting job the other day, a stand of oaks blocking the view from a big house over the dordogne river/valley, nothing massive. Catch was they were at the bottom of a 6 metre slope with a sheer drop of 25 odd metres (not visible) to the valley floor. Trees had to be winched back for the felling, HL14, then I put a chain on the trunks and pulled them up to the garden. One of those days you love the landy!

5976624268068_Karlandothers009.jpg.13630057ad19265d78f09a326add1eaa.jpg

59766242664c4_Karlandothers007.jpg.d410183c6cbcc19b8b262e47589a8b8e.jpg

5976624264750_Karlandothers006.jpg.bfcb461b0b5aa4f1d796789d89d0ec62.jpg

59766242625d0_Karlandothers005.jpg.08f67f15c07bf7a2ec1849d92e728a1f.jpg

Interesting job the other day, a stand of oaks blocking the view from a big house over the dordogne river/valley, nothing massive. Catch was they were at the bottom of a 6 metre slope with a sheer drop of 25 odd metres (not visible) to the valley floor. Trees had to be winched back for the felling, HL14, then I put a chain on the trunks and pulled them up to the garden. One of those days you love the landy!

HI STUMP nice land rover there mate :thumbup1:and the HL14 winch I'm told is the best :thumbup1:mate jon :thumbup: