The Land Rover Appreciation Group.

John Hancock

Jose, you obviously bought a nail mate. Sorry for you that that was the case, but then alot of ex-utility stuff can be very abused by guys who dont own their trucks, hence the enourmous service history you said came with it. What a lot of people dont realise when buying a land rover is that you are paying for a tractor with some on road bits put on it. Off road they are absouloutely the final word (for work that is- i refuse to comment on the girly greenlaning thing). The chassis is better than any other 4x4. The power delivery in low box is absoloutely unrivalled (except maybe landcruisers), and they are soooooooo cheap to repair- recon r380 box, 640 fitted inc vat, 1700 to buy plus fitting and vat for nissan, toyota etc. The reason that jap stuff lasts so much better is that they dont and cant do what a defender can. Most NEVER go off road. That is why they are built like cars- small cabs, car like driving position. Permanent 4x4 allows the largest towing capacity in their class (ok-landcruiser again), and the chassis is almost indestructible, unlike the hi-lux, l200 ranger things which are, in comparison very lightweight. Reliability-wise? Look after then, and they more than look after you. My toyotas have benn NO MORE reliable than my landrovers, and my mates ranger has been beset with problems from the start, but being what it is he is stuck with it as the second hand value is so low.

My landrover garage has the contract to service all the landrover that the china clay companies use. Daimler-benz who own the fleet (not sure why) were pissed off that some landy's were getting the correct resale value at auction age 3 years, whereas the ones running 24hrs a day an totally abused by the workers were being scrapped after three years. So they changed to ford rangers. Within 4 months they had got rid of the lot and tried to go jap. Neither nissan nor toyota would put their vehicles in that environment as they deemed it too extreme (2 weeks for a set of brake discs, 3 days for pads in the worst conditions-lots of silica). Back to landrovers. They now understand why landrovers are the choice of Aus army, British army, extreme off roaders worldwide and countless others.

Landrovers in Australian Army Service Part One by Paul Handel

Is that why the aus army use landrovers??:confused1:

Dont know mate, I only speak from experience. Go up the Top End of Oz, and see how many Land Rovers you see compared to Landcruisers. Only thing rarer than a Landy owner, is a Landy owner willing to take you across the Territory:lol:

These are people who have to rely on their vehicles, sometimes as a matter of life and death, and if they get stranded outback are a long way from anything or anyone and cant just whistle for backup. (unlike, for example, the Australian Army :001_rolleyes:)

I like Landys, i really do, but i became tired of being an apologist for an ''over rated piece of pommy crap'' wherever i went downunder.

From the dodgy Series 3 in Tasmania, to the petrol v8 110 in New Zealand,(which really was a pig), i didnt have one positive experience. ''Fine when they're working'' was the usual comment - trouble was, they often weren't.

If you want to see somewhere where Landys are really held in high esteem, go to Darjeeling in N.E India. Never have i seen such a collection of series 1's , all dating back to when the Brits pulled out in 1947, all worn down to bare aluminium, and all carrying fantastic loads of people and/or goods up ridiculously steep inclines.If i did Land Rovers P.R., thats where i'd film my campaign to stress their longevity. But thats there advantage in a place like India - break down they might, but any village workshop can turn out spares.

Now a Hi-Lux, theres a vehicle - Taliban ''Truck of the Year'' for the tenth year running, and not a Landy in sight....:001_tt2:

Dont know mate, I only speak from experience. Go up the Top End of Oz, and see how many Land Rovers you see compared to Landcruisers. Only thing rarer than a Landy owner, is a Landy owner willing to take you across the Territory:lol:

These are people who have to rely on their vehicles, sometimes as a matter of life and death, and if they get stranded outback are a long way from anything or anyone and cant just whistle for backup. (unlike, for example, the Australian Army :001_rolleyes:)

I like Landys, i really do, but i became tired of being an apologist for an ''over rated piece of pommy crap'' wherever i went downunder.

From the dodgy Series 3 in Tasmania, to the petrol v8 110 in New Zealand,(which really was a pig), i didnt have one positive experience. ''Fine when they're working'' was the usual comment - trouble was, they often weren't.

If you want to see somewhere where Landys are really held in high esteem, go to Darjeeling in N.E India. Never have i seen such a collection of series 1's , all dating back to when the Brits pulled out in 1947, all worn down to bare aluminium, and all carrying fantastic loads of people and/or goods up ridiculously steep inclines.If i did Land Rovers P.R., thats where i'd film my campaign to stress their longevity. But thats there advantage in a place like India - break down they might, but any village workshop can turn out spares.

Now a Hi-Lux, theres a vehicle - Taliban ''Truck of the Year'' for the tenth year running, and not a Landy in sight....

Fair points SSS, which have been made in varying forms many times, and are no less valid for that.

I dont really care for, nor can comment on, Range rovers and discoveries, having owned neither, but my point really was for working vehicles of the size of a defender it is really the one that outshines the rest for useability and toughness of build. Granted, they do need regular servicing, but to be fair the amount of repairs required for heavily used off road work vehicles (farmers trucks, quarry trucks etc) are about the same regardless of marque.

I would choose only a landcruiser if i was overlanding, a long way from back-up, but i bent and killed two hi-luxs doing what i do no probs with the defender. It comes down to 'horses for courses' for me. I am sorry John, but i didnt join your group coz actually i love my landrover no more than i do my old naff vectra estate.:blushing::001_smile:

Fair points SSS, which have been made in varying forms many times, and are no less valid for that.

I dont really care for, nor can comment on, Range rovers and discoveries, having owned neither, but my point really was for working vehicles of the size of a defender it is really the one that outshines the rest for useability and toughness of build. Granted, they do need regular servicing, but to be fair the amount of repairs required for heavily used off road work vehicles (farmers trucks, quarry trucks etc) are about the same regardless of marque.

I would choose only a landcruiser if i was overlanding, a long way from back-up, but i bent and killed two hi-luxs doing what i do no probs with the defender. It comes down to 'horses for courses' for me. I am sorry John, but i didnt join your group coz actually i love my landrover no more than i do my old naff vectra estate.:blushing::001_smile:

Cant say i agree about the repair issues, having owned and used both Hi-Lux and Defenders - I know which was the cheaper to run! Landy spares are cheaper than Jap, but not by the margins they once were. I run a battered 12 yr old Hi-lux that off roads nearly every day and in that time i've had to replace the propshaft once (my fault for missing a grease nipple :blushing:) and the contacts on the starter motor. Its as reliable as clockwork and has never let me down.

If money was no object, and i had both time and desire to maintain one, then i probably would go for a Landy. There, ive said it:001_smile: But in my present situation i would only consider it as a second, hobby vehicle.

Yes, they're better built, yes they're better off road, (no diff.lock in the Lux for starters) and yes they have more character, but for doing everything i need reasonably efficiently and economically, its hard to beat the Japs.

I s'pose its the same as the argument me mate has about tractors. I run older gear in the woods and on the holding, he runs new. His point is why settle for an old Mf 135 for example, when you can get an all singing and dancing Jap or new Chinese model with 2-speed p.t.o, crawler box, live hydraulics etc.. for similar money? Ah, i say, but how many Yanmars, Isekis, or Siromers will still be running in 20, let alone 40 years time? ''Wont need it then'' is the reply. I'm beginning to think he might have a point...

As a follower of landys in general, they do have many down sides, BUT, everyone has different requirements, so choice is for the individual.

Yes, they're better built, yes they're better off road, (no diff.lock in the Lux for starters)

Only a small point, but its a common misconception about the diff lock on a defender. The standard diff lock only locks the diff between the axles that enables constant 4WD, it does not lock the axles themselves.

Technically, it is no more efficient than a Hi Lux etc when you engage 4WD.

As a follower of landys in general, they do have many down sides, BUT, everyone has different requirements, so choice is for the individual.

Only a small point, but its a common misconception about the diff lock on a defender. The standard diff lock only locks the diff between the axles that enables constant 4WD, it does not lock the axles themselves.

Technically, it is no more efficient than a Hi Lux etc when you engage 4WD.

Except that the hi-lux doesnt have that centre diff, or permanent 4x4 or power delivery EXACTLY where and when it is needed. Hi luxes that i had were 2x4 until you chose 4x4, and then the centre diff wasnt locked.

They cant tow enough for me, either on or off road, the body rots like buggery as its steel, and the chassis is so mickey mouse that they bend for a past time when loaded right up. Horses for courses. I had landrovers, 3 of, got p-ed off with the unreliability so tried toyota, and in the same work it was no better at all as a marque. Fine if they are only required for light towing or carrying, but just not man enough. So i went back to Land rover and bought a defender, and 6 years on i wouldnt change, unless i become a hairdresser.:001_tt2:

Except that the hi-lux doesnt have that centre diff, or permanent 4x4 or power delivery EXACTLY where and when it is needed. Hi luxes that i had were 2x4 until you chose 4x4, and then the centre diff wasnt locked.

:

:confused1: A hi-lux is rear wheel drive, for 4x4 you engage the front axle.

A landy only divers ONE wheel on ONE axle until you engage the center diff lock.

So not much difference.

MOST 4x4's are a con, as they only EVER drive 2 wheels, 1 on each axle.