Is it actually worth it anymore

SiW

Sad fact of the matter is some Firms will/have fall by the way side.This contraction in the market is compounded by the number of new start-ups and the seemingly endless newly qualified people competing for jobs.

If its not working go and do somthing else,before your hand is forced.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A tip for all of you who are worried about how tough it is, try having the rug pulled from under you healthwise, the ability to earn is taken from you just like that! Then try to get yourself going again, but again limited by the pathetic amount your body will let you do before you are too tired to do more. Now run along and be grateful for the one thing that you do have, regardless of wealth, and that is your health and your ability to earn something :001_smile:

Something we all take for granted and don't think about until it's too late. Wishing you all the best on your road to recovery Andy

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

Hello Simon, hope things pick up for you soon........ that means that I'll get more work and I have nothing too haha!

There's a chap just posted in the members area from Huddersfield that's said he's just had to sack one of his staff, it'd defo be worth giving him a ring! Probably shooting myself in the foot here cos I'm in the same boat, no work and skint, but you've got a kid and one on it's way soon so I suppose your need is greater than mine!!

Good luck:001_smile:

Respect to you Mr Gerbutt :thumbup1:

Since I started this maybe I should add a bit more. I don't want to stack shelves at tesco, I love working trees, always have and always will. This post was more about the constant worry of if there's going to be enough money to pay the bills at the end of the month. Which i'm sure its not just me worrying about. Currently I have no jobs booked. No Subbie work booked and need to find about £700 for end of month hence my worry, only option will be to start selling my equipment. But then we all know that's a slippery slope. Thanks to everyone who offered there support and words of wisdom

Hope things turn out alright for you, good luck.:001_smile:

I heard an economist Jonathan Davies say on Radio 5 this morning, we aren't in a recession were in for a 20 year depression..

I'm with TimbercutterDartmoor some of you boys must be on crack, especially Mr Stumpgrinder! we're in the poo big time and things will get much worse because we're being mugged by our own government and there mates!

Life still goes on in a depression. Trees grow and die. Fences rot, fall over or have a cow run through them.

Stuff will always need sorting out. We have to work harder to make sure we are in our clients' mind when the opportunity is there.

Get out and speak to people and be good at what you do. Be available and keen. Keep busy and communicate with people. Stuff comes around.

Hi

Respect for you guys keeping your heads above water in these tough times, Ive worked through quite a few recessions in the past (in a different trade) in 2001 my phone/e-mail in-box for contract work went quiet so I did anything to keep going. You have to work smarter - not harder as you're probably already doing that.

I just thought through schemes that would bring me more business like £25 to a client who referred me to some one else for example. I also did some cheap local advertising which worked well & supported a couple of charities with a half page ad in their rag.

But dont give up, the struggle may be long but stay focussed & eventually you will triumph.

Bon chance

N

Agree with you.

it ain't that bad.

average day rate i reckon is around 300 to 400 profit.

So most of us prob make more in 3 days than the average working man does in a month...and when we are working...its all fun , games and fresh air.

tree work is an undervalued industry and at the same time tree workers overvalue them selfs.

I read this thinking, that is some serious profit every day. If you can do it good on you.

Till I read on and realised you meant turnover, your profit in probably 80-150 per day depending on fuel usage, buggered chain etc.

If you consider the average wage in the uk is 26000 per annum, minus tax which is £2150 - tax per month. Which means you need to work at least 18 of the 19 working days in the month to earn the same as the average wage in the UK. These figures do not include the time you spend quoting, mending etc which are essentially unpaid.

Just so you know.

Jonathan