Is it actually worth it anymore

SiW

Is it just me or are other people getting fed up struggling to meet the ever increasing bills, whilst people contantly undervalue work, making it impossible to make a living. I bet if I cut my prices by 50% I still wouldn't be cheapest and I actually own my truck and chipper, so overheads are minimum. Don't get me wrong. I still love the job, nothing beats taking down a 70ft ash into a 2 metre square dropzone. Or looking at a spot on reduction at the end of the day, but boy could I do with a rest from struggle

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me or are other people getting fed up struggling to meet the ever increasing bills, whilst people contantly undervalue work, making it impossible to make a living. I bet if I cut my prices by 50% I still wouldn't be cheapest and I actually own my truck and chipper, so overheads are minimum. Don't get me wrong. I still love the job, nothing beats taking down a 70ft ash into a 2 metre square dropzone. Or looking at a spot on reduction at the end of the day, but boy could I do with a rest from struggle

Here Here

i agree and am considering looking into other areas of life im interested in to work but i think i will always be doing this as a subby just maybe having something else to play with and like you say give my head a rest from it all. i am lucky im still young enough to do that. i have always said if i gave this job up tomorrow it wouldnt bother me so much my passion is with the tree it self and how it is come to be, wether perfect or a elephant man type of thing. i will always be happy wen i see em and always be able to climb them. i like rock climbing but dont make a living from it so why cant trees be any different. shame people feel this way it is sad my mate on the gold coast is having the same problem and when he works for the people who do have the work they are muppets and now he is thinking the same. good luck

I wish people would stop moaning about their lot all the time, "I'm being undercut" or

"cowboys stealing my work" jeez times are tough so man up. go and do some utility work or stack some shelves or pick rubbish from a landfill in Rio.

Would love to do utility work but if I had the grand to pay for the tickets then I wouldn't be as hacked off durr!!!

I wish people would stop moaning about their lot all the time, "I'm being undercut" or

"cowboys stealing my work" jeez times are tough so man up. go and do some utility work or stack some shelves or pick rubbish from a landfill in Rio.

Ditto

Quite agree.

:thumbdown:

Oh no do-gooder positive thinkers again. Stop judging other people. You have absolutely no idea what circumstances the poster and others like him are in. We happen to be in the UK, not Brazil, so atleast compare like with like if youf're going to try that one. You go stack some shelves; good luck actually getting the job with 200 applicants for one night shift position.

Anyone would think people don’t know about the recession or remember the last one.

Or

That collages and other places have been happily taking money off lots of people for arb related training with promises of lots of work etc, consequently there have been too many people in arb for years riding on the wave up to the point the wave broke when the recession started, and yet collages etc are still happy to peddle the same old promises of lots of work etc ~4 years after the recession started!

It’s a case of too many chief’s, too many Indians, too many Indians becoming chief’s and not enough scalps to go around. ;)

Recuce overheads, i live in a caravan, nice and cheap :)

Dont put all your eggs in one basket, i do tree work, delivery driver, and looking to invest in a 7.5ton tipper/hiab combo in the future. Works there but sometimes you just gotta go find it rather than it coming to you.

Lifes a challenge afterall, no point getting down about it :)

That collages and other places have been happily taking money off lots of people for arb related training with promises of lots of work etc, consequently there have been too many people in arb for years riding on the wave up to the point the wave broke when the recession started, and yet collages etc are still happy to peddle the same old promises of lots of work etc ~4 years after the recession started!

It’s a case of too many chief’s, too many Indians, too many Indians becoming chief’s and not enough scalps to go around. ;)

I left school in 1990 and that was during a recession. I did horticulture and heard all the "Plenty of jobs out there £20,000 a yr etc." Never happened to me yet, had to pursue other avenues. But in hindsight they only took over from the school system with positivity and good vibes. It leaves you all pumped up and feeling so worthy, then the real world meets you.

Not to have a nasty dig or generalise but my lecturers were real world failures on a cushty number.

In line with the thread Im sick of the rising costs of living and none rising income. It is a demoralising state of affairs. No one can justifiably tell you to shut up and get on with it. I have low overheads. Work all week, fix my own stuff as much as possible. Diy etc. I do not understand how some of my aquaintances afford to live in the sub £200 a week zone and get their car repaired at the garage etc.