Log cabin home

Dean Lofthouse

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am only looking into basic stuff at the moment J . I am going to employ an architect and throw all my ideas at them and let them work out what is good and what is bad. One thing I really want to incorporate is that heat recovery ventilation stuff and the central boiler using arb waste idea.

I had a look at the passive stuff at the grand designs show last week but that is really hard to get your head round, they said even the heat from a laptop can add to the temperature ??

Heat recovery is a very good idea and one of the main aspects of passive standard housing. It's applications are wide - it's my next upgrade for my timber kilning!

All sources of heat in a house have an impact. One of the main challenges is to maximise the effect of solar gain (when you want it - obviously in the height of summer you want to minimise it) whilst maximising heat retention when solar energy isn't available. Thermal mass and well positioned windows and blinds are key.

My wife's practice did Acharacle Primary school in Ardnamurchan in the Highlands:

The new primary school for Acharacle

and whilst it isn't certified passive, it's passive standard. As a consequence of this, it requires heating only on Monday mornings as the heat from the children, staff and equipment is sufficient to heat the building for the remainder of the week. Hence the term the media coined of 'Weetabix School' (heated by the kid's breakfast).

Passive standard isn't difficult to achieve - you just need the right architect and the right builder. The folk who built the school were master carpenters from Austria so the quality of construction is flawless (air tightness of 38 times better than regs for instance).

Let me know if there is anything my wife can help you with.

Jonathan

Cheers for that J. Will do :thumbup1:

The grand designs expo was really good, it was vast and you needed a full day to walk round it properly. The only thing that spoiled it was salesmen jumping out in front of you all the time and wasting the time you need to see everything.

From dog sponsoring to double glazing salesmen it was an absolute pain in the backside, if I,m interested in a product I will ask, I don't need pestering. It ended up in the end with me having to be rude to them otherwise I wouldn't have got round the show

Yep - agree with bigJ, watch out for the eco-bling.

Also, very valid point re reducing demand for heating with insulation & airtightness - this will pay off long term. We are heating approx 200m2 with a high-efficiency stove, total 8kw - 70% to boiler which feeds a thermal store for hot water and heating and 30% to the open-plan upstairs. During the last few winters it has been way to hot upstairs necesitating opening a window to bring it down to a habitable temp :lol: Our efforts worked better than expected.

most UK builders have no clue about airtightness - we did it ourselves although there does seem to be a growing awareness, but not much interest in doing it properly.

Regarding damp - the general principle with any building is to give it a good pair of boots and a good hat.

Other comments re log cabins - our neighbours imported one from the states and self errected - very impressive system, but not sure of manufacturer. They dont have any issues with cold getting in, but they are hardy folk mind. In their case the joints were buttered with some sort of mastic to seal it.

Everything arrived on two artics and was packed such that the first bits needed were on top. They were sent full instructions well in advance, but did have somebody in for a couple of days who had imported and built a few before.

They build under and agricultural tie - the cabin qualifies as a temporary structure :lol:

Re planners - dont underestimate their abilities to defy reason !!!! I would generally regard myself as a pacifist, but could happily shoot our planning department - b........ds :thumbdown:

Anyway, late now so go go go - will be worth it.

PS research & plan well before jumping in!!!!!!!

my first house was wooden. it wasnt a log cabin but a timber frame and clad in wood. just a big fancy shed really. my parents own 35 acres of wood so it cost next to nothing to build. I lived in it for about 4 years then my now wife moved in and then our daughter came along. it was only when my wife was pregnant for the second time that we decided it was time to move into a proper house. but it is still standing. my parent use it for visitors. its been up about 8 years now.

First stage, sent off for estimate to get electric onto site, there is none anywhere near, so this could be the first obstacle if it's a rediculous quote.

Going to have a look at one being built in Chester on thursday by the firm I am going to get to supply the log homes, he is then going to give me a rough idea of cost based on my sketches