Is there a northern Spudulike?

growforest

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-Firstly not all 372XP saws are rev limited, depends on the age.

-Tuning by ear as the saw comes out of a test log and/or making timed cuts are the only way to tune a saw with electronic rev limiter. Not using a tachometer. Most mechanics will just set it to the "basic" setting and leave it at that.

BUT Megatron, the dealer had already seen my saw (a warranted switch replacement) so could have looked it up etc etc. Either which way or any, i was told that within my service for £100 + VAT i NEEDED a new fuel filter, air filter and the diaphragms needed replacing. Odd how despite not being replaced all these items are still functioning perfectly well 8 months after my saw was serviced by another. I see your point with dealers, but as i've said, this particular one has lost my trust, trying to upsell me, or in fact falsely sell me service items that are not needed is just bang out of line. And some dealers will give dealers as a whole a bad name. But good dealers need fear not, their reputation will carry them.

Chris

Including service parts as part of an annual preventative maintenance service is not "up-selling" parts, but replacing items that should be replaced at an annual or hourly basis whether they have failed or not. Hence the term preventative maintenance.

All my hand-held machinery that is in for a menu preventative service has a new plug and fuel filter fitted irrelevant. Foam filters are only replaced if they are split, excessively contaminated or deteriorating. Paper filters are automatically replaced if contaminated.

If someone brings a machine in for an annual service, then it is perceived it is running fine, and they want it serviced for another year to keep it that way. If it has an underlying problem, then initially it is treated as a repair, with the possibility of a full service once the problem has been diagnosed and rectified with the customers' consent.

(certainly wouldn't change the carb diaphragms as a matter of course on a service though)

I took my car to service last month. It was working fine- the oil, the oil filter, the plugs and the air filter, but they still changed them.

Pleasant,

I'm all for preventative maintenance, which is why the needle bearing on my saw gets greased every 10 hours or less, my filter washed and so on.

And i do understand the point in replacing items IF they're in need of it.

My saw ran well, the plug was a good colour, i had no fuelling issues, my filter wasn't blocked.

IF it needs replacing, replace it, and if it has a 'serviceable life' replace it. But don't try and tell me that it should be replaced as matter of course.

At least we agree on the diaphragms. :thumbup:

As for you car, was the engine oil as clean as when it went in? Oil filter the same condition?

Certainly not- but neither was your plug and fuel filter in the same condition as new ones, so I don't see the analogy.

Plugs and filters have a service life- generally annually or x amount of hours depends which is sooner. Irrelevant of whether they are working at that point or not. Your fuel filter could plausibly be on the verge of clogging completely or your plug could be on the verge of breaking down. Surely if you've been charged £100 for a service you wouldn't want to bring the machine back after it let you down on a job two weeks later, only to be told it needs a new plug or filter? False economy IMO.

well I sat & read through the posts and left me wondering is it the moon phase or weather thats set this off.

We have different types of folk on here, the "can do's" the "wish they could do's" and by the look of it a secret sect that think everyone should use a main dealer for servicing.

Years ago when life was too busy I sometimes used to get my chains sharpened at a main dealer, until once I watched in horror every tooth on the chain turning blue and when I pointed out they were wrecked by over heating & the temper taken out of them by grinding too fast, all I got as a reply was "we do hundreds and they are ok" needless to say he never had any more work from me. Before that a saw I took in came back with someone else's parts? (seemed a common accepted thing at the time, not for me though)

I know not all are like this and some are really good guys who do a good job BUT as long as I can do my own work I will. And to be honest it is not rocket science if you understand ports/timing and are good at it. The benefits of a racing background in my younger days.

One active member on here has the gift of this understanding and shares it to help out others (keep posting Spud,:thumbup1: your posts always have a good number of hits which says it all) and it looks like the secret sect dont like the sharing of knowledge or anyone other than themselves getting a saw to work on:confused1:.

As for the last post mention £100 for a service, you dont want many services like that to buy a brand new saw!! we all know they have to cover overheads but come on:thumbdown:

Its sunday night, wind & rain on the window & too tired so not wasting more time, all I will say is.........

Keep at it Spud, you must be doing something right or they wouldnt be having a go, especially as they got so much work piling into the workshop .:sneaky2:

As you may have noticed, although I am a dealer I dont always fit into the stereotype dealer model.

I am quite happy that competant owners service their own saws, and learnt a long time ago not to encourage them to let me do it, they will only resent the money spent.

Some professional users however, although happy to do their own servicing, entrust me with their repairs. Some do this because they do not feel competant, others because they can spend their time more profitably.

Others entrust their work to friends or contacts who work from their home in their spare time. People like Spud. This is also fine by me, I have more than enough work from the domestic sector, who are usually not able to do their own work.

Dealers and users can work together in total harmony if there is mutual trust and respect.

Guys - thanks for the good rep, I really do appreciate the sentiment and good wishes. I will not comment any more on what has gone on here but am just glad that I help menbers understand their saws a little more and am appreciated on the Forum.

I repair very little in reality and any I do are just from organic enquiries that are usually the "end of the road" fix or junk it situations, nothing more.

Cheers

Steve