Knackered Tractor

Hodge

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so steal clear or using resin type product and either go for new engine/block. Can't you look to see if engine will fit. Normally just look at clutch bell housing and look into the spline shaft.

Looking into it on the net should bring up something that you can change it for. If the head I'll need work as well scrap it in and get something else to fit.

could easy get piston and liners for a 35 and even a new head - try either old parts 20, or fergiland both near derby - if you google them, we regularly rebuild old tractors and i would imagine pistons liners and engine kit and new block about £600 quid all insell

or sell it to us to rebuild and refurb:lol::thumbup:

joy

Just found out my tractors knackered. The Block has a 4" crack in it:( the tractor is an IMT, copy of a massy 135.

Just gotta weigh up what to do, the mechanic says we could do a temp fix with epoxy resin this would be cheap but no guarantee how long it will last, next is the option of a second hand block if we can get one to fit, it would then also need piston liners and etc and work doing to the head. Ideally I would get another tractor, a 4wd with loader.

Ohh well, keep calm and carry on:)

I mighty know where a 2wd David brown with a power loader might be coming up for sale. Bit tatty bit mechanically sound.

I mighty know where a 2wd David brown with a power loader might be coming up for sale. Bit tatty bit mechanically sound.

Let me know mate, I would prefer a 4wd next tbh, then I can use it for towing a trailer too.

The success of a weld repair is dubious. It will need to be done by the very best welder you can find. He will need to know exactly how to weld cast, and there are very few who can do it, but plenty who think they can. It will need pre heating and preparation. The end of the crack would need stopping as part of the prep.

It will also depend on where the crack is, remember that a tractor block is highly stressed compared with say, a landy block, as the engine holds the tractor together.

I served 25 yrs as a qualified ag engineer and would never have carried out this type of repair, I have seen too many fail.

Possibly ok on a non working, vintage machine, but not a working tractor.