One reason I use Aspen

GardenKit

I have been reading this thread for some days/weeks and have come to the conclusion that aspen would be of benefit in at least some of my machines. My saws and hedge trimmer that use 50:1 mix I am happy to convert. I am not a professional user so my use is intermittent.

My questions are

1 I have an old fs280 k which has been 100% reliable and does most of the clearing of a small wood. This machine was run on an oily mix by a previous owner so will it have a build up of carbon that might cause problems as it clears. Also bearing in mind its age could I have problems with seals etc when I change?

2 I also have some cheap multi tools that run on 25 and 40:1. Should I add oil to bring the aspen mix to the 25 to1 they require.

1 I have an old fs280 k which has been 100% reliable and does most of the clearing of a small wood. This machine was run on an oily mix by a previous owner so will it have a build up of carbon that might cause problems as it clears. Also bearing in mind its age could I have problems with seals etc when I change?

2 I also have some cheap multi tools that run on 25 and 40:1. Should I add oil to bring the aspen mix to the 25 to1 they require.

It is just possible you may need to replace fuel lines and carb diaphragms on the old still, but it will be well worth the effort. The carbon deposits will clear very slowly and cause no issues.

There is absolutely no need to add any extra oil. The 50:1 Aspen mix contains a very high grade oil and all your machines can be run with it without any risk. Adding extra oil will however cause problems.

It is just possible you may need to replace fuel lines and carb diaphragms on the old still, but it will be well worth the effort. The carbon deposits will clear very slowly and cause no issues.

There is absolutely no need to add any extra oil. The 50:1 Aspen mix contains a very high grade oil and all your machines can be run with it without any risk. Adding extra oil will however cause problems.

I think it is an obvious choice for me. I found the dealer locator on here and there are a couple of convenient stockists on my normal routes so I shall be calling at one soon

Thanks for the info

Hi Morten,

Can you check the UK safety sheet as I understand Motormix is a different mix in other countries as it is made for Stihl by different companies.

I could not see this information on Stihl's UK Website

I cannot find the UK Product Safety Sheet for STIHL MotoMix, but I have found the US one: http://www.stihlusa.com/WebContent/CMSFileLibrary/MSDS/MotoMixMSDS.pdf

I think it is safe to say that MotoMix is "just" another alkylate fuel

I just had two of my 25 litre Aspen canisters refilled at my "local" Husqvarna dealer in Sweden yesterday. The price of Aspen 2T from the pump in Sweden is SEK 18.30 + 25% VAT (£1.60) per litre. This low price is caused by a combination of no fuel duties being levied on Alkylate fuel, and the high volume being sold in Sweden.

Time to sign the petition! http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/general-chat/73719-sign-petition-abolish-road-fuel-duty-alkylate-petrol-cheaper-fuel.html

aspen.jpg.0b2676741e0c3eda3f6711cce1f4de79.jpg

Edited by morten

I just had two of my 25 litre Aspen canisters refilled at my "local" Husqvarna dealer in Sweden yesterday. The price of Aspen 2T from the pump in Sweden is SEK 18.30 + 25% VAT (£1.60) per litre. This low price is caused by a combination of no fuel duties being levied on Alkylate fuel, and the high volume being sold in Sweden.

Time to sign the petition! http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/general-chat/73719-sign-petition-abolish-road-fuel-duty-alkylate-petrol-cheaper-fuel.html

wish it was that price here.

i would use it in everything, not only the saws

Have signed the petition and sent an email to my MP. Got a response from him yesterday...............and it was as expected...........unhelpful drivel. Claims that fuel tax is not a road fuel tax!!! I will now have fun bombarding him with emails!! I never voted for him in the first place, but he is not to know.......................

Have signed the petition and sent an email to my MP. Got a response from him yesterday...............and it was as expected...........unhelpful drivel. Claims that fuel tax is not a road fuel tax!!! I will now have fun bombarding him with emails!! I never voted for him in the first place, but he is not to know.......................

Thank you for your support!

LPG gas is taxed at a lower rate than unleaded because it is cleaner, but these are road fuels and Aspen is for off road engines.

So should have no road fuel tax at all!

Keep up the good work.