One reason I use Aspen

GardenKit

Aspen is a great product but just way too expensive for everyday use. I reserve it for machines used infrequently.

Waste of money for a machine used daily.

One retailer near me sells it at £4 per litre ..............

I for one run aspen in everything with a 2 stroke engine, if you're in the hedge and tree business I can think of plenty of things to waste your money on, but with your respiratory system never more than a foot or so away from that exhaust , Aspen is not one of them. I don't want to end my days gasping for every breath in some bleak nhs cancer ward thank you very much.

Agreed, the road fuel duty is unfair and accounts for just over £0.58 per litre (roughly£3.00 on a 5l can).

It would be nice to see it removed, but I fear that there is just too much on the political agenda at present for any consideration to be given to such a minor matter in the grand scheme of things.

Maybe after Brexit???

One thing I've not worked out is why dealers push it?

Yes they may make a bit on it but not much in the scheme of the business?

If it's that good and stops machines breaking then how is it good for business? Genuine question as I can't get my head round it!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I for one run aspen in everything with a 2 stroke engine, if you're in the hedge and tree business I can think of plenty of things to waste your money on, but with your respiratory system never more than a foot or so away from that exhaust , Aspen is not one of them. I don't want to end my days gasping for every breath in some bleak nhs cancer ward thank you very much.

I'd love aspen to come up with the numbers of how much of these chemicals you breathe using a modern saw Vs 2 stroke Vs walking down the high street. If can this data I'd consider it, all I've seen is what's in it but that doesn't show what comes out the exhaust and what that translates into going into your lungs in day to day use

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

well all i run my aspen in is saws that don't come out for a few weeks at a time as got long shelf life. apparently is good for you and the environment VS standard 2 stroke oil and petrol so why have aspen not got a reduce rate fuel duty for being better and greener lpg has a sower fuel duty even a lower road tax band

I'd love aspen to come up with the numbers of how much of these chemicals you breathe using a modern saw Vs 2 stroke Vs walking down the high street. If can this data I'd consider it, all I've seen is what's in it but that doesn't show what comes out the exhaust and what that translates into going into your lungs in day to day use

Dan, Aspen have come up with the figures, believe me. Unfortunately I do not have these figure to hand in a format I can publish.

You can find a basic version here Aspen Fuel :: Aspen v Premium Unleaded

The salient points are that the worse offenders are the the Aromatic Hydrocarbons which make up around 35% of pump fuel, whereas Aspen only has 0.01 %.

I attempt to show simple example of how machine emit these fumes, in this case with a mower.

1 hour of lawn mowing with regular petrol produces the same amount of toxic benzene as around 100 hours of lawn mowing with Aspen alkylate petrol, or looking at a different way, 1 mower running on petrol produces the same toxic benzene as 100 mowers running on Aspen

Aspen alkylate petrol is up to 99%* cleaner than regular petrol. Virtually free from harmful substances such as sulphur, benzene and aromatic hydrocarbons.

*With respect to the amount of hazardous hydrocarbons

so we should all be running our cars on aspen type fuels and save the environment and get a cut in fuel duty as it be like hardly any emissions. this the case we can make our city and town airs clean pretty quick aspen you need to pitch it to the uk government and transport secretary

Thanks, I've seen that before, I'm interested in what's actually coming out of the exhaust and being inhaled. New saws have emission guidelines? So would be good to know what I'm actually breating in once the fuel and been burnt and at the distance from the exhaust my head is at. Ideally expanded to what you'd be breating in walking down the road as cars would obviously be throwing out loads more than a saw would of nasty stuff? If that argument can be made I'd switch. Really can't get on board with the machinery breakdown argument, the maths just isn't there

One thing I've not worked out is why dealers push it?

Yes they may make a bit on it but not much in the scheme of the business?

If it's that good and stops machines breaking then how is it good for business? Genuine question as I can't get my head round it!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I can answer this from my own perspective as an Aspen dealer, even though we are only a very small business.

1) We do make good money, not on the margin per can which is quite low, but on the volume we do it adds up nicely. Our Aspen profit pays the annual rent on the premises.

2) Our footfall through the door has shot up with customers returning for fuel. This gets them back in the shop frequently where they can tempted to purchase other items.

3) Our serviced work is now more reliable, simply because of running on Aspen. Customers are much happier with both our products and our service work. They spread the word amongst friends that there machinery has never gone as well as since they used us, but most of this is down to Aspen.

4) Customers feel that our new machines perform much better than other brands they may have used. Some of it is due to our choice of brands, but most is down to the Aspen fuel.

5)We get many less moaning customers going on about machines that don't start since service, as most starting an running problems are down to pump fuel. OK, we don't get as many fiddly, tine consuming repairs to rectify stale fuel, but neither do we have to repair these things under goodwill even though the failure was due to the custom adding stale fuel.

6) Our working environment has improved incredibly since using Aspen.

7) In short, we love the product and so do our customers.

The thing is that most of our small engine horticultural stuff does not have efficient catalytic converters, most have no 'cat' at all, so they are massive polluters.

All cars however do have large and expensive 'cats' which clean up the emissions from standard pump petrol.

Also, alkylate fuel is made from a further process at the top of the towers and only a small percentage of alkylate can be produced from each tonne of crude. You have to have petrol in large quantities in order to her small quantities of Aspen.