council competing against us! disgusting!

simonm

COUNCILS!!!! disgusting lazy people taking everybodies work, all them overpaid lazy people, with all that machinery, just disgusting.

I was almost about to fire off a very hurried and rather unfriendly reply to this (being a council arby myself) but thought I better read the rest of the thread first. Good job I did otherwise I might of made a right ass of myself :biggrin:

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does the LA price the job?

They can't wait for us to submit our tenders then undercut us, that would be unethical and certainly illegal. Although it wouldn't surprise me.

Surely they must have a system to prevent it. I'd be interested to know who does the pricing and what their process is.

I hear a lot of bad feelings against LA teams. I just put it down to people being jealous?

Those tendering for external works , are simply trying to keep there jobs by finding extra funding, in these times of draconian cuts in the public sector

I have worked on both sides of the fence & the grass is not always green on either side

on the flip side should private companys be tendering for l/a work ???:biggrin:

Exactly !! Many years ago I can remember local council tree gangs .

Most were phased out in favour of sub contractors.

So the boys lost THERE jobs, granted they didn't do much but there was not much insentive too as the wages and gear were rubbish.

Another local council has all the gear and loads of guys and also does domestic work.

I don't think it's a bad thing as they are providing jobs( I have even been offered one!) and keeping the economy flowing buying and replacing gear.

They don't really seem a threat I worked in that town on Monday , not that I have any desire to work there any way!

:biggrin:

I think the issue that comes through is , the abilitiy to potentially gain works through a staff or equipment profile which is paid for, by the public purse, by doing so putting at risk the stability of companies who have no such financial under pinning.

as How can non public funded companies be expected to fairly compete against an organisation whose Directors, Managers, HR , IT, Supervisors, Staff, Equipment, Machinery, PPE, Tools Vehicles, Resource, Infrastructure, training budget, fuel. are all provided to them for FREE by the UK tax payer or EU moneys.,

Any suggestion as to Quite how these public monies could ever be differentiated into distinct apsects , of their own use & that of neighbouring clients for which they make a charge is frankly unrealistic, especially at delivery level

on smaller scale tasks who pays for the fuel & wages that are used to visit & price for work ? especially if the works arent won ,

as no income is forth coming ,which means a direct draw on a budget to pay for the outlay.

& the budget is paid for by The Taxpayer whether these monies are Eu support, Central government funds or even local council tax funds

Pqq & itt processes are a extremely time consuming administrative process,! so who pays for the officer who sits through those ???

INTERESTING times ahead for La's & private firms alike.

Edited by Yorkshireman

Morning Pete ... enjoy your day mate:thumbup:

but its not for free really is it ,, the taxpayer foots the bill incurred to provide the structure , before it happens

rather than a client paying a public or private contractor after the fact.

I dont make the point to have a bash I merely comment on a perception ,, whic h can also have the flip side that

rather than lose staff after having budgets slashed the La look to get work from wherever they can and that appear to some to be a

commercial approach from a public body,, duallity ?

Edited by Yorkshireman

Nice to see a few more posts from normal people who can look at the bigger picture.

I am quite passionate about my job and I do get drawn into these arguements with the so called Council bashers who like to think they are the only ones who work hard and love to pat themselves on their backs whilst moaning about having to pay there taxes.

If they actually seriously thought about some of the things they type maybe they would realise it doesnt apply to everyone.

For the record I dont agree with Council tendering for private work, I think they should concentrate on doing a good and efficient job od what they already have.

There have been some good points raised though- should the private sector price for council work? yes i think so, if they can do it to the same standard for a better price- maybe that would save some tax (probably to be wasted elswhere)

As I have been drawn into these debates before as a Council worker, you cant blame the lads on the front line for running the country into the ground and you cant say they are all lazy good for nothings, some work hard and are passionate about there work and at the moment times are hard and uncertain for most, especially us.

So before you slate the council workers just keep in mind we are reading this too, maybe your digs should be aimed more at the Government?

We all pay taxes, thats life.

The grass is not always greener!! never a truer saying. ( Is TRUER a word?) :001_smile: