Show us ya birds !

David Humphries

30 minutes ago, sandspider said:

We have a few of the greater spotted here, but have never seen a green, unfortunately.

We seem to have an even spread of green and greater spotted . The greens are usually on the ground foraging and the spotted on a tree .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blackbriarwoods said:

Dad used to get these and the green in his garden, hasn't seen one for ages now.

I hear the greater spotted regularly, don't often see them. The greens are usually looking for ants at the ant hills in the lawn. Green is my next project for photographing. Have to find out how to get a good shot of them, they do fly up to the nearest tree when disturbed but normally not easy to spot. 👍

• Like 1

Away from Cumbria to Galloway for a couple of weeks, but still out gathering snaps. A bit of a random selection. Gannet provide plenty of action, There are at least three Ringed Plover chicks in one of the small coves, Arctic Skua harass the Terns for their catch. Okay I know they're not birds, but had a pod of Dolphin come in so close I could hear them exhaling.

DFF_6023.jpg

DFF_6026.jpg

DFF_6144.jpg

DFF_6512.jpg

DFF_6576.jpg

• Like 12

OK sorry no photo, but yesterday I heard a Cuckoo for the first time for years here on the East Coast of Lincolnshire. Bit late, but how does that old country rhyme go 

The Cuckoo comes in April, in May it sings all day.

In mid June it changes tune, July it flies away

• Like 1

I was in Caithness last week; heard one in the Flow Country at Forsinard, then the next day saw and heard three of them - often squabbling - 15mins down the A99 from Wick in country similar to the Flow but more undulating.

Sorry to be a Johnny two shits @Billhook but it's the truth, honest