Why dont you post on ARBTALK so much any more ?

eggsarascal

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eggs, I think you need to understand the nature of forums. People often sign up to ask one question, get what they want and rarely visit again.

Hi Steve, i wasn't talking about people who pop in now and again to post to get an answer to a question or to ask which is best, Stihl or Husky :biggrin: i was refering to some of the long standing members of Arbtalk.

I'n not entirely sure your motivation behind the post, but its quite ironic that you chose yesterday to make it, which was a record day on several counts

My only motivation for the post, was that i have spoken to a few long standing members over the last few months either on here in the chat room or on the phone and a few of them have said they are not posting as much. and when i asked why, all off them gave the same answer.

Eggs, I think you need to understand the nature of forums. People often sign up to ask one question, get what they want and rarely visit again.

Hi Steve, i wasn't talking about people who pop in now and again to post to get an answer to a question or to ask which is best, Stihl or Husky :biggrin: i was refering to some of the long standing members of Arbtalk.

I'n not entirely sure your motivation behind the post, but its quite ironic that you chose yesterday to make it, which was a record day on several counts

My only motivation for the post, was that i have spoken to a few long standing members over the last few months either on here in the chat room or on the phone and a few of them have said they are not posting as much. and when i asked why, all off them gave the same answer.

They are dogging Skyhuck was right :lol::lol:

Thanks for your post Eggs. Actually all the mods to a great job. Its not the easiest job, and for the most part it's thankless task, and it doesnt help when a small group of people take a dislike to a moderator, possibly because they just dislike any one person having more authority on the forum than others, maybe another reason....regardless, they do a great job helping the forum run smoothly so I can focus my attention more on the development side of things. In reference to some other comments in this thread....there is a report post feature below the avatar images on all posts. Myself and all the mods are extremely busy and really appreciate the members who do take the time to use this feature rather than just start complaining at what they perceive as irregularities regarding site moderation.

Eggs, I think you need to understand the nature of forums. People often sign up to ask one question, get what they want and rarely visit again. Others post frequently then suddenly stop for no apparent reason, only to reappear out of the blue several months(or even years) later. Others simply run out of things to say and are quite happy to just read on a daily basis rarely feeling the need to participate.

Another thing you need to consider is that as a regular member things often appear to be moving slower than they are. I'm the same sometimes, I will often sit working at the computer for a few several hours at a time and periodically flick back to arbtalk and click unread posts. The more you do this the slower things seem to go...like watching a kettle boil perhaps?

I'n not entirely sure your motivation behind the post, but its quite ironic that you chose yesterday to make it, which was a record day on several counts.

965 posts for a start

posts.jpg

69 threads...not a record, we've had 82 in 1 day before now.

threads.jpg

As for registered members logged in per day, its never been higher

users.jpg

And 6243 visits yesterday, 4053 of them being unique visitors......another record on both counts

stats.jpg

This is one of my pet peeves. Its one area of feedback I constantly get, particularly at trade shows. A typical comment would be something like..

'I like the forum but theres too much mis-information'

So why do people who are in the know on some matters choose to stay silent on the forum? If I spot something that is incorrect then i'll correct it, but my area of expertise(I use that word lightly) is very limited. Rather that complain about the misinformation it would be fantastic if people could step forward when they know the definitive answer to something.

Regarding also your comment about users having some sort of status, this has been brought up before on several occassions....the possibility of having recognised 'mentors' as such. But who decides who they are, and on what grounds? Does being listing as an NPTC trainer/assessor qualify someone for this position alone? IMO no, not when theres people with these qualifications who have barely done a year or 2 practical arb work in their career.

Also, how are people going to react to certain individuals being elevated to a higher status over the other members?...bearing in mind there are some who dont even seem to be able to handle someone having a moderator moniker under their username.

Unfortunately I fear theres no easy solution to that problem.

Well said...i'm not sure why I went to the effort of typing all of the above

it's good to think before you post, more people should do this

Do you think the no. of registered members logged in as at an all time high due to the number of smart phones that are permanently logged on? or can you work round that?