Why dont you post on ARBTALK so much any more ?

eggsarascal

Without the cut and thrust of differing opinion this would be a rather boring forum.

Can you imagine if it was all "with the greatest of respect old chap I think you'll find you are factually incorrect there"

I think the mods do a decent job keeping it within the bounds of decency.

When something really kicks off I often follow for the entertainment.

I also click on some peoples posts purely because I like/hate or find them informative/stupid.

I am now at the stage where the old chesnuts like Stihl or Husky? grate a bit but I guess there is only so much to talk about on a trade forum.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like people to say if I post anything that Is incorrect, I like to know what is right and wrong. If I'm wrong then so be it, correct it and move on, it's all about learning and we never stop doing that.

Not sure about who is lurking in the dark reading about equipment as there are no actual addresses to go on don't see how people can find out we're you are to nick it?

If I post a remark at someone it is purely meant as kidding around but if they don't take it that way then I would appolagise and move on. Banter always happens and always will, if You muck up working depending on what it was you will get ribbed for it we all done it and all will.

From what I have seen the forum looks busy as there is always something postd when I hit th today's post button.

Without the cut and thrust of differing opinion this would be a rather boring forum.

Can you imagine if it was all "with the greatest of respect old chap I think you'll find you are factually incorrect there"

I think the mods do a decent job keeping it within the bounds of decency.

When something really kicks off I often follow for the entertainment.

I also click on some peoples posts purely because I like/hate or find them informative/stupid.

I am now at the stage where the old chesnuts like Stihl or Husky? grate a bit but I guess there is only so much to talk about on a trade forum.

^

What he said.

However, I'm a very new member so you'll have to forgive me if I'm wrong. Furthermore it seems very much alive to me and well moderated compared with other forums I've experienced.

I have probably binned at least as many potential posts as I have made - often because after I have rephrased things to be as clear as possible and to reduce the chances of being misinterpreted I find that what I have written no longer looks like what I wanted to say!

I don't know that new members are put off posting by the 'robust' discussions. As with other forums I've been on, there are a mix of people that use the site. Some are lurkers, some are one-shot posters, hit and runs, some get very involved for a short while and then move onto something else, some post everyday, some post every month - I don't think we can say for certain why people don't post. All we can do is see why people do post; the topics that are presented to us are our data.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Edited by Amelanchier

I have probably binned at least as many potential posts as I have made - often because after I have rephrased things to be as clear as possible and to reduce the chances of being misinterpreted I find that what I have written no longer looks like what I wanted to say!

I don't know that new members are put off posting by the 'robust' discussions. As with other forums I've been on, there are a mix of people that use the site. Some are lurkers, some are one-shot posters, hit and runs, some get very involved for a short while and then move onto something else, some post everyday, some post every month - I don't think we can say for certain why people don't post. All we can do is see why people do post; the topics that present us are our data.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Tony I'm with you on your first paragraph but I have still sent posts that once I have read them on the forum I wish I hadn't!!

I check out the forum most days but don't participate in areas I have no real knowledge or experience on,that said I sometimes reply because an interesting thread will just draw me in. : )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it feels quiet because firewood is quiet so less toys to show. Recession has possibly slowed work on the arb side. There was a few bullies on here making arrogant posts about 6 months ago but that seems to have gone. If you are posting something tongue in cheek aimed at someone you know well a smiley on the end helps. If you are putting something that may cause offence it probably will.