You have got to wonder

caledonian bob

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe blogs is realising how easy it is to put a log in the fire or sell it in a bag.:biggrin:

If there wasnt a tree surgery recession then most of us wouldn't of bothered doing firewood.:001_rolleyes:

Good luck to the guy, I hope he doesn't injure himself and has lots of enjoyment doing something he enjoys:thumbup1:

I had an elderly couple come into my stove shop today and they will buy a stove. During the course of the conversation the chap said that he had just bought an electric Bosch chainsaw from B & Q to chop up logs etc in their small orchard. While not telling him that they will only last a day or two I first asked him about how he intended to sharpen it, he replied that he did not realise they needed sharpening, no file included either. Then I asked about PPE, specifically trousers with bib top, boots, gloves and a helmet with visor and muffs. He did not have any or had even considered that he needed any.

I explained the damage a chainsaw can do to unprotected limbs etc, at that point his wife told him to take it back first thing tomorrow and buy logs in instead, this he immediately agreed to. The chap was over 70 and would have been happy to swing a saw about.

There should be regulations governing the sale of smaller saws to people who think of them as a simple DIY device, specifically that PPE equipment must be proved to be available for use.

A

B&Q do now actually sell PPE for chainsaws, but no where is it an actuall LEGAL requirment to actually have any training, PPE, or knowledge, to operate a saw. all the major tool suppliers now sell chainsaws of one description or another, and as long as they do, youll never see legislation to say otherwise

It would be interesting to see some stats as to the use / injury / severity of injury figures for unskilled use of chainsaws, strimmers, brushcutters, grinders, circular saws etc. etc.

I can't really think of anything you can buy on the open market which has more potential to damage than a chainsaw, especially the cheap chinese jobs with big bars which are probably a pig to start and have instructions in some kind of language nobody actually speaks.

Thinking about it, I know of probably 2 major domestic power tool accidents among friends. One was a hot spark from a grinder in the eye due to lack of goggles which meant much pain but no lasting damage. The other was a mate in Plymouth topping off a connifer in his garden up a ladder with a cheap chainsaw. The top started to turn. He ended up on his back on the floor and the saw fell on him and removed his bicep.