REF what the price of hard wood cord now thanks

mendiplogs

I have never seen figures to convince me logs can compete with gas. I always think of logs as bit of a luxury item. Most people burn them on high days and holidays.

My view also, seasoned loga are a luxury good, you are not selling on strictly energy. Woodchip is sold on energy price plus an uplift if subsidy for burning it is involved.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's always the same with a new boom type product/ industry. Everyone thinks its easy money doing logs as the raw material was pretty cheap a couple of yrs ago and there were loads of existing and new customers.

Every Tom dick and Harry gets involved for a bit of green gold cash and then slowly the raw material is harder to come by, prices go up and a number of the unscrupulous traders p&@s customers off or just can't keep up the quality or supply.

It happened with xmastrees a few yrs ago and it'll sort itself out with the logs sometime soon I'm sure. You have to be in it for the long haul, have a good product, not give it away and don't undercut your local guys as it does nobody any favours in the long term and you'll not last the long haul and will also pi&& everyone off.

Agree with what your saying, but I,am no newbie to this been doing nearly 10 years....come from 3 generations of new forest timber cutters.

cord wood has hit such high demand and prices, new start up log companies are willing to pay these prices and sell at low prices ruin it for everyone else.

I have well over 100 log customers, so customer base is not a problem and don't mind sticking something out to the end, but I not willing to work for peanuts..so will give my customers to someone else and go climbing on Saturdays and earn more than doing a days logging.

Cheers Matty :thumbup1:

HI OLD thats just mad:thumbdown: mate thanks jon :thumbup:

Not if the timber is free and just has lads splitting in there spare work time...

If companys who produce timber as waste and can sell it cheaper than log merchants .. Fair enough..

Seems a lot of twisting about pricing on this site, perhaps time for few of the twisters to change there business model or change industry...:thumbup:

Not if the timber is free and just has lads splitting in there spare work time...

If companys who produce timber as waste and can sell it cheaper than log merchants .. Fair enough..

Seems a lot of twisting about pricing on this site, perhaps time for few of the twisters to change there business model or change industry...:thumbup:

Even if the woods free by the time he has taken it to yard split it stored it reloaded it and delivered there's very little left. The guy that's selling it wants to change his business model ie be realistic with his pricing why sell any commodity at less than 50% of the market price if he aimed for 80% he would still sell it.

I personally could not care less about joe blogs down the road selling cheep I sell out every year and make reasonable money from it.:001_smile: