REF what the price of hard wood cord now thanks

mendiplogs

so who else is holding out & waiting to see if the price drops for next years stock????

lots of wood around here between £40-£45 per tonne roadside

Could be useful if we can sell this years first. Thats kind of where we get money from. This money then pays for cord next year. Perhaps winter will come next week.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so who else is holding out & waiting to see if the price drops for next years stock????

lots of wood around here between £40-£45 per tonne roadside

Tricky one, isn't it? Very mild winter so far... and round here hardwood cordwood stocks are low due to the rush to stock last autumn - so prices are correspondingly high.

If it doesn't chill down soon - and next week it's forecast to, but we need a month of it, not a week - everyone's going to have a load left over for next winter, what cord is sitting around won't sell, and prices will plummet.

If you need to re-stock for next winter, and can't risk supply drying up even further, buy now. If you can afford to wait and speculate, wait. Wholesale gas prices have fallen and bills are falling with it - so we may see a fall in demand for wood and less willingness to pay premium prices.

Me, I'm not a big player. 50t a year by saw and axe, operating at the premium end with a strong reputation for a very well-seasoned product. I'm buying now to ensure I have time to process it all by the summer. I simply can't afford to wait or I won't be able to keep my standards up.

Those with high-capacity processors won't have my constraint. Good luck to them!

Tricky one, isn't it? Very mild winter so far... and round here hardwood cordwood stocks are low due to the rush to stock last autumn - so prices are correspondingly high.

If it doesn't chill down soon - and next week it's forecast to, but we need a month of it, not a week - everyone's going to have a load left over for next winter, what cord is sitting around won't sell, and prices will plummet.

If you need to re-stock for next winter, and can't risk supply drying up even further, buy now. If you can afford to wait and speculate, wait. Wholesale gas prices have fallen and bills are falling with it - so we may see a fall in demand for wood and less willingness to pay premium prices.

Me, I'm not a big player. 50t a year by saw and axe, operating at the premium end with a strong reputation for a very well-seasoned product. I'm buying now to ensure I have time to process it all by the summer. I simply can't afford to wait or I won't be able to keep my standards up.

Those with high-capacity processors won't have my constraint. Good luck to them!

HI ALL nice and cold now its all good for sale snow later in the week:thumbup1: jon :thumbup:

• 1 year later...
We just had 52 tonne delivered 2 weeks ago for £43 per tonne. Processed last week and now in shed.only 3 lengths wouldn't go in processor. Roughly 60% ash 30% beech. Another 52 coming next week hopefully.

James

HI JAMES what size is that 6"up to 14" mate and is that price into yard thanks jon :thumbup:

We just had 52 tonne delivered 2 weeks ago for £43 per tonne. Processed last week and now in shed.only 3 lengths wouldn't go in processor. Roughly 60% ash 30% beech. Another 52 coming next week hopefully.

James

Hi James what processor have you got then mate thanks Jon

We don't have one mate, a friend of mine does logs and has a hakki 1x easy. Small machine but I reckon its great. We only generally process about 65 tonnes each year for our own boiler. We hire him in for 3 - 4 days a year to get it done. Doing twice as much this year as we always seem to be behind. He brings his processor, tractor and transit Tipper and we get 4 of us working and fire it straight in the shed with Tipper. 2 people on processor and 2 stacking. We do roughly 18 tonne a day split and stacked. Not sure how good this is but it suits us. And Pete is so cheap its Not worth buying one. We have a Good splitter for year round use and the big stuff. James