customer wasting our time

likeitorlumpit

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he has a preferred contractor, but still got 2 other quotes just for a small job, then he's got PITA written all over him.

It might just be that a mate or family friend has given a price but suggested they get other quotes so not to feel that they are either giving a cheap price or over quoting.

At least it was a small job with not much legwork, its less nice being used as a back marker on a large job with alot of calculations.:sneaky2:

I remember being asked to quote for a job(domestic didnt sound very big) a few questions over the phone and it transpired that she was getting something like 10-12 quotes all in all! Suffice to say I didnt manage to find the time to quote for that job.

if I get the impression that a customer is doing that, (if they say they want a tree "cutting" thats good, if they say they want a "quote" then you need to push them on the tree, size, location etc) If its clearly a small job and its a long way off I'll tell them over the phone that it won't be less than £180 and so that way either they are serious and want the job done or they let you know there and then that its too much and save you a wasted trip.

There is so much competition for these wee jobs from landscapers, gardeners and one man band tree cutters that I rarely win them, far better to be upfront with the client and let them know rather than wasting £10 on fuel and 2hours of your time.

If he has a preferred contractor, but still got 2 other quotes just for a small job, then he's got PITA written all over him.

Not sure I agree with that. As testcricket says, on commercial work you often have to get several quotes. On domestic work, don't forget that most customers don't have a lot of experience to draw on, so they don't know how much it's likely to be. For comparison, I had a preferred building contractor for my extension. He was preferred because he is reliable, honest and works to a very high standard. However, I got other quotes as the figure seemed higher than I was expecting. It was - there was another way of doing the job which he hadn't thought of, and it saved a very large amount of time (and hence cost). Now, if I had felt like it, I could taken the other person's idea and given it, and the job, to the preferred contractor, but instead I used the person who'd come up with it.

Think about this in relation to, say, a removal. There are several ways of doing it - anything from a crane to a MEWP to climbing it, with different size teams etc. All these will vary the actual cost of doing the job, which is worth seeing as the customer.

Alec

Thanks for all the replies

I can see this is a problem a lot of you have and you mainly accept it for what it is.

We work largely as preferred contractors and get nearly 100% of our quoted jobs on these as we are used as consultants at the same time. I had forgotten how demanding private customers can be.

I'm thinking along the lines of remembering how he asked us to quote and using this as a way of weedling out future timewasters.

I am just frustrated by the incredible waste of time this whole process creates.

As a business we have to do VAT/ pay tax on profits/tax on wages/ NI employers contribution/ H&S compliance/ soon to be 3% pension contribution.

I would like customers to understand this and to call in 2nd and third prices from over 40 miles away on such a small job is a bit much.

If you read my original post you will see I did keep my cool and avoided the chance to make this point and kept a professional head on.

I had wondered whether any of you had a cool way of letting the customer know they had caused so much wasted time whilst avoiding angry posturing.

By the way- customer will be calling us when he needs some landscaping done soon- thats one call I will be too busy to take- once bitten twice shy:001_tt2:

Thanks for all the replies

I can see this is a problem a lot of you have and you mainly accept it for what it is.

We work largely as preferred contractors and get nearly 100% of our quoted jobs on these as we are used as consultants at the same time. I had forgotten how demanding private customers can be.

I'm thinking along the lines of remembering how he asked us to quote and using this as a way of weedling out future timewasters.

I am just frustrated by the incredible waste of time this whole process creates.

As a business we have to do VAT/ pay tax on profits/tax on wages/ NI employers contribution/ H&S compliance/ soon to be 3% pension contribution.

I would like customers to understand this and to call in 2nd and third prices from over 40 miles away on such a small job is a bit much.

If you read my original post you will see I did keep my cool and avoided the chance to make this point and kept a professional head on.

I had wondered whether any of you had a cool way of letting the customer know they had caused so much wasted time whilst avoiding angry posturing.

By the way- customer will be calling us when he needs some landscaping done soon- thats one call I will be too busy to take- once bitten twice shy:001_tt2:

Who decided to offer free quotes??

Who decided to drive 40 miles??

The customer has done nothing but give you the chance to quote the work, I would never hold that against a customer and he even had the decency to call and let you know.

We have to kiss a few frogs, when looking for those princely jobs :001_smile: