Whats the weather like near you?

mendiplogs

7 hours ago, Big J said:

Pumping massive amounts of water out of the lake through the snow cannons mainly. And then spreading it out. We don't actually have much real snow here, though it has been snowing steadily all day and we have about 9cm lying on the ground.

Whenever the snow is being made, people have to be there to supervise. The main water pump is about 110kw, plus a smaller air pump to supply compressed air. 

The Piste machine is very similar to the one you mention. I'm planning to train on it and do some of the operation over this season. 

That sounds good. Apart from the antisocial hours.

There is a lot of water used in snow making. Even in the Alpine resorts they normally have a sizable reservoir tucked away somewhere to supply the snow canon, that always surprises me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sime42 said:

That sounds good. Apart from the antisocial hours.

There is a lot of water used in snow making. Even in the Alpine resorts they normally have a sizable reservoir tucked away somewhere to supply the snow canon, that always surprises me.

I requested night time hours actually. I work during the day and at weekends I like to have the option of going out with the family or on my bike during daylight hours.

The reason they use artificial snow is density. The 10-12cm of natural snow we have lying here just now compacts to almost nothing when you stand on it. It's fallen well below freezing so is very fluffy.

Here now. Been up the hill on the tracked quad. Once the slope has been pisted, the snowmobile can be used. At the moment it's just massive piles of snow.

Here are photos:

IMG_20231202_234215_5.jpg

IMG_20231202_234153_6.jpg

IMG_20231202_234222_3.jpg

IMG_20231202_234629_1.jpg

• Like 3

Coming to the end of a two week sub zero spell. Hovering around freezing now and snowing steadily. May have to call the wife for a lift home. I may struggle on the bike.

The photo is one my wife took a couple of hours ago from the top of the ski slope.

IMG-20231207-WA0002.jpg

• Like 3

Very slightly above freezing. The snow is slowly melting and the roads are not great (for cycling). Had to limit todays ride to the main road as the side roads would have been a major struggle, even with studded tyres.

But we've had over two weeks sub-zero, so can't really complain. It was a good run.