big bars

tree monkey

That'd be an interesting test thanks Rob! I'd like a bigger bar when the right tree comes along and just because i want one, but the floppyness really puts me off.

Also, how do you go about changing the end of the bar when the sprocket goes? looks like rivets, but they're flusher

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That'd be an interesting test thanks Rob! I'd like a bigger bar when the right tree comes along and just because i want one, but the floppyness really puts me off.

Also, how do you go about changing the end of the bar when the sprocket goes? looks like rivets, but they're flusher

Drill the end off the Rivets with a Drill larger than the Rivet Head.Punch out the rest of it,then slide off the old Tip,slide on the new one,then Hammer the Rivets Home using the new Rivets supplied with the new Tip.

Its a good idea to do the Hammering on an Anvil or other suitably Stout Surface.

Drill the end off the Rivets with a Drill larger than the Rivet Head.Punch out the rest of it,then slide off the old Tip,slide on the new one,then Hammer the Rivets Home using the new Rivets supplied with the new Tip.

Its a good idea to do the Hammering on an Anvil or other suitably Stout Surface.

Cheers Mike

Rob, do you sell bar tips? coulndt see them on you're (rather good) new website, did find a 17" bar for the 88 though:lol:

Nice one mike I thought they always just popped out if punched and when that has not worked I brought a new bar.... Seems strange the sprocket nose on any bar over 30" does not last !

Does not get enough Oil usually.The needle Point that comes with some Grease Guns will work when Greasing the Tips of Bigger Bars,some Big Saws have a manual Oiler too.

Never found a tree I couldn't fell with my 28" bar, big ones are handy if you have to ring up a fat stem, but although I have used a 48 on an 88 and a 3120 I have never felt the urge to go out and buy one. If you get your cuts right you will be hard pushed to find a uk tree you can't deal with with a 28".

Never found a tree I couldn't fell with my 28" bar, big ones are handy if you have to ring up a fat stem, but although I have used a 48 on an 88 and a 3120 I have never felt the urge to go out and buy one. If you get your cuts right you will be hard pushed to find a uk tree you can't deal with with a 28".

This is very true, why i have my 372 with 26" bar can cope with basically everything i have my 3120 with 36" tht will deal with everything else in the uk i have the bigger 42" bar but its to big to heavy and not needed.

Ace, what make is the bar on the 153? Do you have a part no.? Is it solid or sprocket nose?

kwfhomepage

alright man, i have 2 old dolmar bar for it and an oregon one i bought 2 years ago from clarks i think it was, its a solid nose. I'll get the product number, i think the oiler holes lined up more or less, i may have had to grind it a little bit, i honestly cant remember, i'll check

59765f4ac5625_DSC00097(2).jpg.8fcbfc825d229b688f6832b805a9807e.jpg

alright man, i have 2 old dolmar bar for it and an oregon one i bought 2 years ago from clarks i think it was, its a solid nose. I'll get the product number, i think the oiler holes lined up more or less, i may have had to grind it a little bit, i honestly cant remember, i'll check

Cheers ace. I've got the original 30" solid bar on my 153 and tbh it is now fubar. Having difficulty matching it to a modern bar.

http://www.kinnoirwoodfuel.co.uk

I've got a 36" Oregon Powermatch on my 056 - It has plenty of power but I wouldn't really want to go any bigger, I enjoy not having to go in from both sides when ringing up big timber, mainly because I'm not very good at it!