Yet another great job to price!!

treedweller

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice thinking outside the box mate, but anyone who has let their garden turn into the Congo won't be paying for crane work. Or any other decent work.

If the property has changed hands, the scenario changes....

That was my thinking

I believe they really are looking for the cheapest price

They'll be asking discounts for cash

discounts for early payment.

Beware:sneaky2:

These assumptions can be a huge mistake.

People will always surprise you.

I try not to think I know anyones situation.

I've been amazed by people so many times, I've looked at jobs where the house was a complete tip (the sort where you wipe your feet on the way out) thought theres no chance here and given a hefty price thinking its a none starter, only for them to say "no problem, when can you start" and then have them pay me the minuet the jobs finished.

£20 per hour is an absolute minimum for 1 man band

Thats not profit as you then have to take out costs leaving yu about £8-10 per hour.

Thats pretty crap for the danger involved

Whatever you do don't undercharge or you'll end up disenchanted:thumbdown:

20 an hour? you want to come out with 120-160 a day and to cover your costs on top. 20 an hour on an 8 hour day does't cut it...

If you read back through the posts I do have EL I don't have pro liability so anyone can feel free to grate away. The tree is actually at the back of a shop recently acquired by a gent who has a huge property portfolio and is fitting the whole building top to bottom as it has been empty for some ten years plus. He is a tight arse no to ways about it. He will prob want a discount for cash but ill be factoring this in when I quote. As for crane work ill be honest I'm inexperienced at the level and wouldn't attempt it. Would quite happily pass on the job and recommend a bigger firm in my area if that's what was needed.

I don't mind having a go at something if I'm confident I can do it. If I'm not then I don't take risks.

Edited by treedweller

If you read back through the posts I do have EL I don't have pro liability so anyone can feel free to grate away. The tree is actually at the back of a shop recently acquired by a gent who has a huge property portfolio and is fitting the whole building top to bottom as it has been empty for some ten years plus. He is a tight arse no to ways about it. He will prob want a discount for cash but ill be factoring this in when I quote. As for crane work ill be honest I'm inexperienced at the level and wouldn't attempt it. Would quite happily pass on the job and recommend a bigger firm in my area if that's what was needed.

I don't mind having a go at something if I'm confident I can do it. If I'm not then I don't take risks.

Do what I do if not confident.... price the job taking into account a good wage for subcontractors/freelancers and a good profit for you. I don't climb with a saw - I'll climb for fun and climb to rig, but will let my freelancing mate do the cutting. Last job was 2 to 2.5 days - we did it in 2. I paid climber and groundy £800 between them for the 2 days. I worked on ground and did saw maintenance, ropes etc, and walked away with a tidy profit and no real grief (well, no grief now that I've been paid :lol: ).

You could, for example, price your job at £1500, get a dead good climber and a groundy and pay them £800 and net yourself a healthy profit for doing more simple stuff and owning the job. Everyone's happy. You've also then got room to move the price a bit if the customer comes at you with a cheaper quote, and you still get a profit.

Do what I do if not confident.... price the job taking into account a good wage for subcontractors/freelancers and a good profit for you. I don't climb with a saw - I'll climb for fun and climb to rig, but will let my freelancing mate do the cutting. Last job was 2 to 2.5 days - we did it in 2. I paid climber and groundy £800 between them for the 2 days. I worked on ground and did saw maintenance, ropes etc, and walked away with a tidy profit and no real grief (well, no grief now that I've been paid :lol: ).

You could, for example, price your job at £1500, get a dead good climber and a groundy and pay them £800 and net yourself a healthy profit for doing more simple stuff and owning the job. Everyone's happy. You've also then got room to move the price a bit if the customer comes at you with a cheaper quote, and you still get a profit.

I see exactly what your saying and agree also but when i said i wasnt confident i ment with crane rigging iv never done that before. As to taking the tree down in the normal fashion im 110% happy i can do it. Its a really easy tree with big well spaced branches. The only thing to watch for really is where the branch ends touch the building and over hang the gardens either side. The main stem is quite hefty and due to the tree being on a slope dismantle will be slow i guess as every piece will have to be rigged. But other than that its easy street its just the access thats pants.