Christmas Tree Rip Off.

Pedroski

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had an idea of cutting up a truck load of rings (coni logs) and taking them to a christmass tree dealer to use as stands in exchange for a few trees. I didnt end up doing it as the garden centre gave me one for free for a few loads of chip but it mite be worth a try!

That wouldn't work. You need to drill a hole in each one the right size for the trees to go onto the blocks. We buy logs in for the stands. Pre drilled and our machine is set to turn them down to the right size.

That wouldn't work. You need to drill a hole in each one the right size for the trees to go onto the blocks. We buy logs in for the stands. Pre drilled and our machine is set to turn them down to the right size.

Depends where you take them, some places have their own drill and buy in blank rings. I used to sell a fair bit of timber to a guy who cut and drilled his own bases.

we had thought about doing it ourselves, charging enough in one sale/hire/rent whichever you wnt to call it to cover the cost of the tree if it was sold as a cut tree, so then if its brought back knackered youve not wasted money, but then if it comes back nice you sell it again next year for th same money, it worked out you could potentially sell the same tree 5 times and still have the tree!

I think you mean rent or hire

ah yes, that'l be my idea! It could work quite well i think but you know what people are like they wouldn't water it and in a nice hot house... I suppose you could have a deposit system so if it gets returned to you in a good state of health they get their deposit back.
There's a company down here that started doing that. Gill's Home and Garden in Hove. £20 small tree, £30 big tree. Small delivery charge. You get to foster it over the Christmas period, and then it gets put back out to enjoy the rest of the year. I'll try calling later to see if any left. Also, thinking if Homebase got some cheap, then maybe B&Q have too so will give them a call in a mo. Otherwise.....I'll be dropping £35 on a 4ft cut one :thumbdown:

I had this idea of having say 100 trees of different sizes on the go at once, then renting them out including delivery and collection, once a tree gets too big to be realisticly rented out it gets planted untill its worth chipping for biomass, it would be a rotation obviously, and its 'green'.

We did this for 5 years hiring out trees and built up to 2500 per year a good little business. We came unstuck as we gave a £10 deposit refund when we collected the tree which worked fine for the first 4 years but then a rival company set up and went round collecting our trees and handing over the £10 deposit in effect getting a £30 tree for £10. I could not take legal action against the company as I could not prove that they were my trees. They even had the audacity to turn up at the local agricultural show with a stand full of my trees.

ha they not bad at tyrebagger lol £8 for a 3' pine

Further along the a96 by glens of fouland there is a farmer selling standing trees at $20 each. From what I saw, trees up to 20ft available .You choose which one he cuts it for you and wraps it. his stand is next to morgan mcveighs shop.

http://www.kinnoirwoodfuel.co.uk

We did this for 5 years hiring out trees and built up to 2500 per year a good little business. We came unstuck as we gave a £10 deposit refund when we collected the tree which worked fine for the first 4 years but then a rival company set up and went round collecting our trees and handing over the £10 deposit in effect getting a £30 tree for £10. I could not take legal action against the company as I could not prove that they were my trees. They even had the audacity to turn up at the local agricultural show with a stand full of my trees.

How did they know who had your trees???