should he stay or should he go.....(Clarkson)

Tom D

My best man had a job with the council for a while, he was a good employee, turned up early and worked hard all day, he'd leave when his work was finished. after a couple of weeks one of the old hands took him to one side and said" this is the council son, we dinnae work too hard here" he was expected to slow down as he was showing everyone else up. the other stories he tells about that place are truly shocking.

You are spot on Tom. My wife is a nurse in A&E and a busy one at that. And they are under the cosh because they are busy, but she has worked in Scotland, England and Wales and she tells me the if there wages came out of the someone's books and not the tax payers money there would be a lot more done, and she means a lot more work done.

It's a simple case of who is watching the watchers they run themselves, there lazy from the top down FACT.

Sent from my aye phone using Tapatalk

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant deny there are some people like that and some peoples attitudes to work are poor. But im not one of them! I enjoy work, take pride in my work, i work hard for the council and in my own time and I try to influence the people i work with.

Agreed, I work for a legal authority albeit as agency staff and there are quite a few who are lazy and aren't bothered about the job... But... The are the exception not the rule and I am definitely not one of them, I work hard whoever I work for, public, private or myself

So please don't put all us "council workers" in the same can't be arsed and lazy as sin bracket:sneaky2:

Sent from Rob's GalaxySII

You are spot on Tom. My wife is a nurse in A&E and a busy one at that. And they are under the cosh because they are busy, but she has worked in Scotland, England and Wales and she tells me the if there wages came out of the someone's books and not the tax payers money there would be a lot more done, and she means a lot more work done.

It's a simple case of who is watching the watchers they run themselves, there lazy from the top down FACT.

I'd love to stay and chat more but i;ve got to go to bed, after all I need to be up early in the morning to go and have a full breky before spending the day sat in the wagon playing cards, counting my dosh, thinking about my hols and working out how much pension ill get when i retire early.. :lol::lol: speak soon

love fat, lazy council worker x x :thumbup:

does this country not support freedom of speech?, he can say what he likes, and if you dont like it, tough, your problem... not his. some people should get a life and try to survive in the real world, not the cotton wool place they seem to think it is

I'd love to stay and chat more but i;ve got to go to bed, after all I need to be up early in the morning to go and have a full breky before spending the day sat in the wagon playing cards, counting my dosh, thinking about my hols and working out how much pension ill get when i retire early.. :lol::lol: speak soon

love fat, lazy council worker x x :thumbup:

Your not far wrong lad the country is full of them. Let's be frank, start at 8am muck about till 9am leave the yard find some where to park, look at the job till 10am have tea. 11am do a bit 1pm have lunch 2pm do a bit more. Leave job at 3.45pm incase we get stuck in traffic return to base 4.30pm home at 5pm.

Where would you get apart from LA answer nowhere.

does this country not support freedom of speech?, he can say what he likes, and if you dont like it, tough, your problem... not his. some people should get a life and try to survive in the real world, not the cotton wool place they seem to think it is

Here here, totally agree everybody loves to jump on it, he was being extremely flippant, and a union was going to take legal action, get a grip muppets.

The rewards in public sector employment are there, they're just different.... family hours, job sharing, a pension for everyone, but above all, job security.

I work on the HOPE that I'll get recognised, and if I don't, I work a bit harder.... If I get rewarded it will likely be a lump sum payment, but it won't have any greater worth than the perks you receive over time [and irrespective of performance] working in the public sector.

I am salaried, I get what I get no matter how many hours I work [but believe me, I don't get to work less!] I have as much opportunity to increase my earnings as anyone in the public sector.

It is those who have gone on strike demanding something which is not economically viable which has made a them and us situation. Because they have made themselves out to be more valuable than those of us who don't work in the public sector, those of us who suffer job losses, pay cuts, short hours....

And I'm not sure what type of school you refer to which had to lay of staff to repair the roof. If it was a state run school I can state categorically that would not have happened, the LA has a responsibility to maintain the envelope, sanitary facilities and mechanical and electrical installations in a school..... bills for those items do not come out of devolved capital, they're covered under the service level agreement.

I disagree with your comment concerning job security - until recently it was true but the school I'm referring to is the one my wife works at, and is state sector. The county has declined to honour its service agreement, on the grounds that it's run out of budget, so the school has made redundancies three years running, and if you look at the overall intention announced yesterday to scale up redundancies in the public sector to 710,000 that's hardly secure. Also speaking from personal experience, family time isn't really a major factor - we try to get half an hour a day - nursery shuts at 6.00, half an hour to get the children home, then half an hour until bedtime - which I try to make.

I am also salaried, hence in the same position as you with regard to ability to increase earnings - i.e. working harder/longer hours is done because it's needed, not because it earns more. I am, however, in the unusual position of working for an organisation which performs exceptionally well in recessions. I am therefore flat-out busy to keep things running for my staff and clients. However, for many on this forum, in the self-employed category, this is not the case.

The most informed source I can find on economic viability of state sector pensions is the Hutton report. It does not say they are uneconomic, or unaffordable - it's online and searchable for any word you care look for and those words are not there. What is undoubtedly true is that they are no longer the norm, but then what's the norm these days, and what should be? As a government, you make the rules. You can treat your employees however you like - they can enforce the pension terms they're proposing, and probably will, so whether it happens or not is a moot point. However, if you take away the incentives to stay you'll lose the able members of a profession. In the grand scheme of things, this is a short-term economic situation. Pension payments will not be altered in the lifetime of this recession. It's not a solution to the economic crisis - it's a convenient badge to slip through a political philosophy.

If you really want to solve the economic situation, you need confidence, which will only come on a global scale. You need something to export - goods or services, to rectify the balance of trade deficit by either making things cost effectively in the UK for local use to ameliorate the need for imports, or to export. Anyone with skills to contribute to this is part of the solution. Anyone who peripherally contributes to support those people (educators, health professionals etc) is beneficial. Anyone who only creates UK internal redistribution of wealth is parasitic.

How's this for a controversial thought, why don't people in the arb sector (excluding forestry and firewood which are products rather than services), the construction sector, retail sector and the other sectors which are currently over-staffed stop whinging about how it's all the public sector's fault and go and re-train to do something more valuable that makes a contribution to the recovery.....

Alec

The most informed source I can find on economic viability of state sector pensions is the Hutton report. It does not say they are uneconomic, or unaffordable - it's online and searchable for any word you care look for and those words are not there. What is undoubtedly true is that they are no longer the norm, but then what's the norm these days, and what should be? As a government, you make the rules. You can treat your employees however you like - they can enforce the pension terms they're proposing, and probably will, so whether it happens or not is a moot point. However, if you take away the incentives to stay you'll lose the able members of a profession. In the grand scheme of things, this is a short-term economic situation. Pension payments will not be altered in the lifetime of this recession. It's not a solution to the economic crisis - it's a convenient badge to slip through a political philosophy.

No they don't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is what has caused the mess we are in!!!!!!!

The last lot believed they could "make the rules", but thats madness!!, trying to change the laws of economics is as stupid as thinking you can change the rules of physics!!!

Gorden Brown said "I have ended the cycle of boom and bust" as he spoke those words we were at the top of the largest boom the word has ever seen, what a bloody fool!!!!!!!

If you really want to solve the economic situation, you need confidence, which will only come on a global scale. You need something to export - goods or services, to rectify the balance of trade deficit by either making things cost effectively in the UK for local use to ameliorate the need for imports, or to export. Anyone with skills to contribute to this is part of the solution. Anyone who peripherally contributes to support those people (educators, health professionals etc) is beneficial. Anyone who only creates UK internal redistribution of wealth is parasitic.

How's this for a controversial thought, why don't people in the arb sector (excluding forestry and firewood which are products rather than services), the construction sector, retail sector and the other sectors which are currently over-staffed stop whinging about how it's all the public sector's fault and go and re-train to do something more valuable that makes a contribution to the recovery.....

Alec

Exactly!! confidence that can only be created by spending within our means, not paying one part of society an unaffordable, unsustainable pension package!!

And having a public sector that employs 50% of the working population, so the taxes of the other 50% are supposed to pay for them??????:confused1:how the hell can that work???nice one labour:thumbdown:

As for forestry and arb not being valuable what utter nonsense:001_rolleyes: