Rope Wrench feedback

The pins make a huge difference for in tree movements such as redirects etc. I prefer the bigger pin as its more user friendly.

Stu- I never seem to set up a pulley for long branch walks, rather I'll drop down from the branch above so that I'm already half way out along the branch I'm going to limb walk on. This prevents the big walk and also means if you fall of your anchor point is real close so limited swing. Need my gopro!!!

I have enjoyed reading this thread, the videos are of great interest to me and i am currently thinking of purchasing a wrench aka ZK-1!!

before I buy one? It would be nice to see a video of limb walking/climbing in the ends of the branches focusing on the movement back from the end of the branch, as it seems from what I have seen you will have to set up a pulley advantage system to have good control on your return

Any info would be welcome.

Thanks Stuart

There’s not much to it really Stu. You find yourself pulling hard on the line (to take your body weight) with one hand while the other tends the slack, until inevitably you feel happy that the limb can take more of your weight as you progress inward of the canopy. It’s more of an instinctive technique that you just assume in practice much easier than what it is to explain in words.

The pulley/rads thing is a nice option but hardly a necessity. And the technique as I tried to described is obviously not exclusive to the Wrench....in fact the Uni or the Rig are probably superior in that respect as they don't have that sit-back tendency that comes with using a hitch. The main thing is that the option is there if you feel more comfortable....I imagine it might come into play more for heavier climbers.

For the record – I’ve spoken in this thread only from my own experiences. I’m not a teacher or anything but would strongly suggest that SRT is not for beginners....and that DdRT is probably the safer option for those still in the first few years of ‘commercial’ tree-climbing.

For the record – I’ve spoken in this thread only from my own experiences. I’m not a teacher or anything but would strongly suggest that SRT is not for beginners....and that DdRT is probably the safer option for those still in the first few years of ‘commercial’ tree-climbing.

Why is that RCO? It strikes me that a novice climber has no experience of DRT so there is no transition to make. Therefore the evolution from ground dweller to tree climber will be equally as demanding cerebrally whether on SRT or DRT.

Also, a novice climber should be seeking professional training anyway.

Is the reason that Arbtalkers here that are finding SRT a bit tricky to start with are having issues because of one or two decades of DRT climbing to sit back on? (metaphorically speaking of course:laugh1:)

By the way, my RW should arrive today so I am not talking from any experience. :001_smile:

[/b]

Why is that RCO? It strikes me that a novice climber has no experience of DRT so there is no transition to make. Therefore the evolution from ground dweller to tree climber will be equally as demanding cerebrally whether on SRT or DRT.

Also, a novice climber should be seeking professional training anyway.

Is the reason that Arbtalkers here that are finding SRT a bit tricky to start with are having issues because of one or two decades of DRT climbing to sit back on? (metaphorically speaking of course:laugh1:)

By the way, my RW should arrive today so I am not talking from any experience. :001_smile:

Well, for all of its advantages in efficiency many aspects require a greater intensity of strength; it is often more gear intensive; returning from limb-walks requires a greater degree of skill and judgement; in the event of a mistake its a lot less forgiving for sure.

Furthermore and probably most important, does you insurance even cover you for SRTworking a tree in the UK? To the best of my knowledge its not part of the national training and certification curriculum....not as that matters anything to me personally.

I say this as its all good and well everyone (myself included) talking about efficiency this and that but there are obviously two sides to every coin which, again, is why I'd only recommend SRT to climbers already physically conditioned and experienced in canopy access and cutting using DdRT.

Its not my product, place or liability but I'd still feel iresponsible in not making the point.

Hi Oldmilltrees,

Reg is right i also wouldn't recommend it to novice climbers, tree access yes anyone but even i have came to a few situations where i feel i have to stop and think about it, but i am still learning. You use a fair bit of your core when working the system in the tree and limb walking takes a bit of getting used to because your not pulling your weight off another part of the line but the static line itself.

Well I've been climbing on the wrench for a month now. A lot of the problems I first encountered I'm begining to iron out. Using a free running hitch works really well. I was working with another climber today who pointed out that I climb the tree rather than the rope. I think if your new to climbing or use your rope a lot you might struggle to adjust.

With a free running hitch I don't find any trouble leaving the wrench attached and climbing drt. Moving around the tree is much easier. Returning from limb walking is no problem, infact I find it easier as there is less slack to tend as the system is 1 to 1. The one element I am struggling with a bit is line retrival. After dropping through forks all funny ways it can be hard to pull your rope out. All in I get the feeling that I will be sticking with this system for a while.

Very glad a bought one

What I am interested in knowing is the industry/insurance stance on srt as reg points out. Also I would like to find out more about implications of and techniques for rescue using the wrench.