Chainsaw beginner - can't get Husq going after refuel

ATC1983

Morten it sounds like your a big fan of Aspen and the product seems fool proof, no pund intended. That being said,"knowledge is power" and this thread has pretty much covered the gambit of possible solutions for solving ATC's Saw issue. If all else fails he may still have to take the saw into a local repair shop for it to run again. That in it's self would not be the end of the world but lessons learned have different prices at different times. Let us know how you make out and for the most part the membership is trying to help with a little razzing thrown in at no additional charge! All the best.

easy-lift guy

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where abouts are you based ?? maybe someone on here can have alook and give you a bit of help with fueling and the basics.

It's sounds like you have put the wrong oil in the fuel and gunked everything up, like whats been said i would half fill shake and empty for abit to clean out tank. hope you get it sorted.

One other comment aimed at some of the advice about mixing 5 litres of fuel to 100ml of two stroke oil, the owner sounds like he doesn't do too much cutting so heed this advice: -

MIX ONLY ENOUGH FUEL FOR YOU TO USE WITHIN ONE WEEK - PETROL DEGRADES THE TWO STROKE OIL OVER TIME WHEN MIXED TOGETHER AND MIX OVER ONE MONTH OLD AND MORE SOULD NOT BE USED!

Old fuel is the prime cause of seizure - do you really want your piston added to my collection of melted pistons:001_rolleyes::lol:

I know it is easier to buy 5 litres of fuel and get one of those 100ml bottles but I would purchase a suitably sized mixing bottle for your use.

I hear what the Aspen guys are saying - perhaps overkill for our part time logging friend though!

ATC, Good on you for sticking with the thread. A few harsh words here. As has been mentioned give the fuel tank a rinse with mixed 2stroke fuel a few times. maybe a new spark plug would be a good idea. You could even replace the fuel filter as this might be a tad gunky aswell. (Get a stiff piece of wire, make a hook and fish the fuel line out of the tank to change the filter)

I only passed my cs30/31 a week ago and the only question I was asked about fuel was "What fuel does the saw use?" and the only answer the dude would accecpt was 50-1 we were not shown how to mix fuel and neither was there any dialog about what issuse you could have with your fuel.

That said I carry a 20l jerry can marked "Clean fuel" and mix 2-stroke fuel in a 5l combi can. but this only lasts me a day maybe an hour into the following day at the most so no degradation issues for me really.

Let us know how you get on, just try and give your system a good flush first.

Regards

Alex

I'm wondering, after just putting some of my guys through a half assed chainsaw course here, how much these so called training courses are now about revenue gathering rather than actually teaching people how to use a saw/equipment properly. Surely they should be taught everything from the ground up. My guys were thrown straight in to cross cutting before they'd even learned how to maintain a saw, even the very basics. Reckon the industry would be better served a lot of the time having trainees taught by experienced users on the job for a few months and then have an assessor come out to site to check that indiviuals are up to standard.

As for this chainsaw beginner; although to us it may seem that he/she has comitted a very simple and basic error (almost laughable) it's like anything, if they haven't been shown properly in the first place maybe we should be looking a little more closely at these so called training courses and extracting a little less of the urine.

I hear the views - once I knew nothing about saws but knew much about mechanics, engineering, electronics etc so I looked and learn't with a mix of hands on and the rest from online content - now I am in a position than no saw fault has beaten me:thumbup:

I guess some just dive in without knowing and some do the research or talk to others more informed than themselves.

I think the real issue here is what would have happened if the guy had got the saw going and had not worn the correct PPE, or the correct mix of fuel oil, the chain tension being wrong, chain direction incorrect etc etc